World of Tanks Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Client crashing to desktop

Dear Codeweavers and WoT players,

Let me start by saying that I am very thankful for the wrapper you've created, allowing me to no longer use Windows though bootcamp to run the World of Tanks game client. Sadly I am experiencing some problems, as the client sometimes crashes to desktop. I know this happens in windows too, but maybe a solution to this problem can be created or found (I was unable to find one either on this forum or the war gaming forums.).

There are two different crashes I experience:

1. The game client will warn me at the start of a game that there is insufficient memory. After a few games(Can be one, can be 10) the client crashes to desktop. This seemed strange to me, but I figured that playing WoT through a portal might consume a lot of MB. In the past I briefly had parallels installed and lets say that running an OS in an OS wasn't easy on the memory. This is why installed another 8GB, increasing my memory from 8 to 16GB. Sadly the problem still occurs. More interestingly, when I use the activity monitor in OSX it indicates that I only use about 4GB of my memory when I play WoT, about 25% of my total. The crashes happen at random moments, sometimes it happens at the start of a game, but it can also happen at the end or any other given time during the 15 minute game duration. I doubt the 4GB my video card offers does not suffice because I play with almost every setting on low because of crash number 2:

2. The game client crashes reasonably quickly but at random times after starting the first game after I increase the 'texture quality' to anything higher than 'low'. When playing on low crash 1 still occurs but since its only like once per hour I've learned to live with it. Seeing as how I own a fairly new iMac with respectable(for an iMac) hardware, I think it should be possible to play with the graphic settings 'slightly' higher than I do now.

Next to technical information it might be interesting to know that I use few mods: XVM to indicate player skill, XVM to see positions on the map. The two problems above also happen without running any mods though, so I doubt they have much influence on the problem.

I hope somewhere here has experienced similar problems in the past and was able to fix it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Technical information that might help:
I have a 27-inch late 2013 iMac
3.5GHz i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB
500 GB SSD
OSX Version 10.10.3 (Yosemite)

Resolution I play WoT at: 2473-1390 (Not in full screen mode)

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Hello Jeimer,

I have forwarded your ticket into our ticket system.

I have a similar Mac to yours, mine is the dual card NVidia GeForce GTX 750M/Intel Iris.

For my experience, I can play for hours without crashing most of the time. However, I do experience some crashes after extended play.

Your case is interesting because you've done an incredible job in describing what might be different about your set-up and described the crashes you receive. Many thanks for that.

What I hope to do is take your two scenarios and attempt to reproduce them locally. I'll test out with and without the Mods.

The information that is missing from your description... what tier level of tanks are you currently running?

Caron,

Thanks for looking into my question. I run every tier tank, although it is safe to say that I mainly play tier 6-10. Last time I briefly tried to improve my graphic settings I played two games. Both crashed within two minutes. I don't remember the first game nor tank but the second game was in my AMX 13 90 on Himmelsdorf, I was not actively engaged in combat at the moment of crashing.

I really hope you will be able to replicate the problem. If it would help I suppose I could make screenshots of my WoT graphic settings as well as from the warning I get when the client complains about insufficient memory. One thing I forgot to mention is that the memory warning also asks me to reboot, although it does not specify whether it means the game client or the computer.

Kind regards,
Jelmer

I've checked this and its not particular to code weavers. I have been playing wot through parallels and I experience the same issue. as soon as you increase the graphics anything above low you get crashes. A lot of them! sometimes every game! most of the time before the match starts. which I can handle but sometimes during play! which is very annoying! I have tried on many differing hardware and it is the same, so point is it is not isolated to code weavers

Oh and btw thanks for the thread as its cured my crashing problem. I never thought about the graphics being the issue. I can live with the bad graphics! I can't live with running windows in bootcamp!

looks like it is a wot issue http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/351466-basicly-low-graphic-setting-works-without-crash/

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUVc4djk3UXBMM0Fwd05OeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9