World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Battle for Azeroth will depend on DirectX 11

Codeweavers, you should go and implement this now, not some time afterwards, when another app finally fails to work with CrossOver!

Heyo! So we are actually working to implement DirectX 11, and have been for some time. It is a tricky process and I am hopeful that it will work with World of Warcraft as well as other games that require it. Unfortunately I can't make any promises but we are actively working on it!

@Katie Grace Just to let you know, I have been using the special WoW build for a long time now AND with many other applications. Never encountered any problems. It should be no problem to integrate the changes in the general CrossOver version.

DXVK is what is used for WINE, is that possible to be integrated into Crossover?

From what I just read about DXVK, it works with an unmodified Wine version by just replacing two native DLLs. If that is the case, it should also work with CrossOver.

I would love to know that too …

So, today launched WoW BfA 8.0 prepatch at EU realms, which means that WoW no longer works under crossover because of dropped DX9 support. Are there any news regarding DX11 implementation?
Thanks in advance for any info :o)

Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:

So, today launched WoW BfA 8.0 prepatch at EU realms, which means
that WoW no longer works under crossover because of dropped DX9
support. Are there any news regarding DX11 implementation?
Thanks in advance for any info :o)

The US got it too.

I have a backup wine-staging prefix that I have running with DXVK, and runs very nice this way. If you use Lutris, or want to manually build a prefix it isn't hard. I would take a look at the lutris install script for details. The key is DXVK, as that will create the ability to do DX11, but there are also DX10 calls, that just so happen to work with DXVK, but you will need a parameter passed to have DXVK advertise as DX10 too. Nonetheless, aside from a few addons that are slow to update, things work pretty darn well.

With NVIDIA, DXVK gives me alot better FPS, but at the cost of a bit of jitteriness. Its not bad, and definitly better than DX9.

Although I prefer to use CX here, until there is an update, I am forced to use my manual prefix. And for those interested, a tip for MMOs, keep the data in a separate area from the prefix. That way if you need to blow it out and get a new prefix/bottle made up you wont lose your stuff, or waste time moving stuff back and forth. In my case I store (symlink my CX stuff there too) my stuff in ~/Games/wine/ and have battlenet/ and battlenet_games/, where the latter is just the game folders with the downloaded content. I point both my custom staging prefix and my CX bottle there from within BNet to see the games. I do likewise for EQ, PoE, Rift, and Steam (Windows via wine, not my native Linux one). Rebuilds mean nothing to me this way. Figured I would share this since, I am sure this may be of use to anyone who wants to play NOW and return to CX when support is restored.

Happy hacking.
Happy gaming.
Andrew.

Lutris BNet Link - https://lutris.net/games/battlenet/ <-- Use the All in one if you want it done for you -- all libs, DXVK, etc. You will still need your system libs setup, as in vulkan, mesa/nvidia, etc.
God, it will be nice when catches up ....

Which directories do you symlink from in order to not have to re-download the data?
thanks,
cb

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMlNHV3dMeU1aR2dFNkZRZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9