World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW Lich King sound pops hiss and cracks

Hi:

I had WoW running perfect under Ubuntu 8.10 with CrossOver games 7.1 I believe. Unfortunately, I "upgraded" to Ubuntu 9.04. It wiped all my CrossOver games. I downloaded CrossOVer games 7.2 (most recent I have available to me) and re-installed WoW. After tweaking the video a bit, it works fine but my sound is horrible. Pops, hisses, cracks, stuttering.....Regular Ubuntu sound is perfect. I turned Compiz off.

Any ideas how to fix this?

My Config.wtf file is:

SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
SET SoundBufferSize "232"
SET gxApi "opengl"
SET M2UseShaders "0"
SET pixelShaders "1"
SET SmallCull "0.07"
SET trilinear "0"
SET useWeatherShaders "0"
SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET readScanning "-1"
SET readContest "-1"
SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "-1"
SET installType "Retail"
SET locale "enUS"
SET movie "0"
SET showToolsUI "1"
SET realmList "us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com"
SET patchlist "us.version.worldofwarcraft.com"
SET coresDetected "1"
SET hwDetect "0"
SET gxResolution "1280x960"
SET gxRefresh "52"
SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"
SET videoOptionsVersion "1"
SET textureFilteringMode "0"
SET Gamma "1.000000"
SET Sound_OutputQuality "0"
SET Sound_OutputDriverName "System Default"
SET Sound_EnableMusic "0"
SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
SET farclip "177"
SET particleDensity "0.10000000149012"
SET groundEffectDist "70"
SET ffxDeath "0"
SET ffxGlow "0"
SET weatherDensity "0"
SET accounttype "LK"
SET realmName "Grizzly Hills"
SET mouseSpeed "1"
SET VoiceActivationSensitivity "0.39999997615814"
SET ChatMusicVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET ChatSoundVolume "0.39999997615814"
SET ChatAmbienceVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET gameTip "20"
SET baseMip "1"
SET environmentDetail "0.5"
SET checkAddonVersion "0"
SET Sound_EnableHardware "1"
SET gxWindow "1"
SET lastCharacterIndex "9"

Thanks,
Ross

SET SoundBufferSize "232"
its different for everyone, you have to edit the number in the quotes until the sound stops messing up.
i have not found one number that works for everyone, and good luck :)

thanks for the tip, i will try it and report later. My sound is horrible since the upgrade to Karmic (9.10)

theres something else you might look into, my in-game sound is also horrible since i installed 9.10, but its because theres a bug with pulseaudio. some people have said installing esound and removing pulse fixes this issue, it did not work for me, but you might have better luck.

update * retested this, removed pulse and installed esound, and my in-game sound no longer sounds like a meat grinder

I can confirm that removing pulseaudio and installing esound worked on my Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 system. My sound is now working properly.

Newly compiled on Wine 1.1.35, dsound.dll.so and winealsa.drv.so have been uploaded to http://dl.codeweavers.com

Replacing these files on Ubuntu 9.10 appears to fix the sound issue.

First, go to:

http://dl.codeweavers.com
access code: left4dead2

Download each file

Then, cd into:

~/cxgames/lib/wine (/opt/cxgames/lib/wine)

Rename dsound.dll.so (dsound.dll.so.bad)
Rename winealsa.drv.so (winealsa.drv.so.bad)

Copy dsound.dll.so & winealsa.drv.so

Into the ~/cxgames/lib/wine (/opt/cxgames/lib/wine) directory.

Launch the game affected and it should be much better.

Please let us know if this helps your situation or email us if you still experience sound issues after trying this fix (support ticket or info@codeweavers.com).

Reference Bug 5844

Thanks. I was having the same issue on the same software setup. I have been trying the files for the last 20 minutes and it doesn't occur so far (hopes up).

I have tried the steps detailed in this thread and am still having the popping audio using pulse.

Holy crap on a stick! The new .so files worked like a charm! I'm going to try some other games that were having this same bug. You guys RULE!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNXJnZkJKYkJDV2J4VDc0UyIsImdkcHIiOjB9