World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW won't patch again after I close it...

I am reinstalling WoW and every time (well twice today) I install the game and start the patching process. Twice today, I had to stop it before it finished, and after I do that, I relaunch and I get stuck with it loading 10% and it then gives me an error saying: Could not patch (or something like that). Any fixes to this? I am running ubuntu 9.04. Ive also tried manually patching. I will reinstall tomorrow without closing the patcher. I will post the results.

I got it working...

When using the online installer select "World of Warcraft" even if installing WoTLK

When it starts updating leave it alone to do its thing - until you get the launcher with the "Play" button. Do not close the updater. Doing so breaks something and it will refuse to do its thing on the next runs and you'll have to delete the bottle and begin installing again.

It may also happen that the updater may get stuck, Check with the "System Monitor" to see if its still downloading data. Leave it alone until you are sure it downloaded the patch. Only then can you forcekill it. When you do this make sure no other instance of the updater is running. If so, kil it. Oance you restart the process through the Launcher it should pick up from where it left off when it froze.

@Codeweavers Guys, I love you for making sure installing things and running them is as smooth as possible, but this kind of jumping through hoops kinda pissed me off (I had to restart the install twice, lost many hours) and it may make newbies just give up. This is supposedly a supported app.

can i get the specs of your machine for both of you guys, because honestly i haven't gotten that error before, download never stops nor if i close it does it "freeze"

These are the specs for my PC:

CPU: Intel E7400| MB: GA-EP31-DS3L | RAM: 4GB DDR2 Kingston HyperX | HDDs 1x640 GB + 1x250GB + 1x80GB |
Video: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 core 216 | PSU Vantec ION2 460W

Nvidia driver: 256.52
CxPro ver. 9.1

it happens that it locks the program after patching, so you have to be sure that you run the patcher as a admin, i had similar problems and fixed it like that. Check your folder/file permissions too.

Theres been some issues lateley with the patcher one of witch is and error msg that says :

\World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at D:--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the update. (The data being read was "msvcr80.dll", and the error code was 0.) If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (Converter::Load)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

this is resolved by deleting the \World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ file once the file is deleted it will patch, if this does not help you let me know

Luis Garcia wrote:

Theres been some issues lateley with the patcher one of witch is and
error msg that says :

\World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ". This error may be
caused by problems with the media or drive at D:--for example, a
scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a
networking problem while downloading the update. (The data being
read was "msvcr80.dll", and the error code was 0.) If this problem
persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then
reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem,
please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (Converter::Load)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button.
The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

this is resolved by deleting the \World of
Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ file once the file is deleted it
will patch, if this does not help you let me know

Hello,

I'm also receiving a launcher error. "Launcher couldn't be executed for some reason. Please close all applications and try again."...

I've tried deleting the backup file ( "backup-enUS.MPQ" for me, BTW )

Also, I tried running the game directly from wow.exe. Which successfully launches, but can not get past the login screen due to more patching needed.

And I've just tried redoing chmod 755 to the launcher.

No dice!

Read and used a trick that was suggested for the Starcraft 2 installer/updater. Injecting the IE6 html engine into the bottle where the game is supposed to be installed. So try installing that from
"Community Supported Applications" and try to run using the launcher again. If not, please, send an email submit a ticket so you get help for your issue.

Also, did you read the posts above and did nothing suggested in those help you ?

Does your patching stall at 10% ?

Also, if it helps, there are a few "patch mirrors" from which you can directly download the patch. Please see here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21079&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2316 . After downloading the patch, open it using the "Run a Windows Command" option in your menu. Make sure you have the right bottle selected before running it 😊.

Patches can be tough sometimes. I guess one way of looking at it is that sometimes WINE is trying to download a very large file (Some patches are greater than a gigabyte), meant for a different OS, and if a small error occurs (please see post about 2 entries above), it can halt the whole process. I gotta give WINE props for doing a pretty good job on this overall.

Hibba.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicnpNdTdlQkxhdjdOYk1SUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9