World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Failed to find a suitible display device - error

I get this error when trying to launch the game the launcher loads and works fine but hitting play will throw this error up.

I am on Fedora 14 64bit have Crossover games 10beta ( have tried this on the last stable non beta same issue)

Currently have the ATI proprietary graphics drivers installed and configured. I am running it in Crosfire X mode as I have two identical graphics cards (not sure this is the issue or not)

Any other information you need let me know

Also, the problem seems to occur with the nVidia proprietary drivers (oddly enough, not the free ones). Fedora 14 64-bit with CXG 10 beta. WoW bottle was archived/restored from a pre-existing installation in Gentoo 64-bit.

Mr. Hibba.

Ok first i need to ask if you have an nvidia or at graphics card, if you don't know enter in a terminal grep -l pci also run glxgears and post the results.
Chances are you have the wrong drivers installed for your card if not then your wine could be referencing your onboard try the tutorial above just the part about videopcivendorid and videopcideviceid

I'm afraid it still didn't work. It appears to be an issue related specifically to Fedora.

I tried running "grep -l pci," but it hung without any output. Glxgears ran ok, I don't have the output for it at the moment, but I will post it later.

Hibba

Edit: Below is the output of glxgears (the last two lines appeared when I closed it):
95042 frames in 5.0 seconds = 19008.205 FPS
93372 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18674.189 FPS
97800 frames in 5.0 seconds = 19559.969 FPS
111346 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22269.188 FPS
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 44 requests (44 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I believe the 2 commands you need to run are as follows:
lspci -k | grep --after 2 VGA
glxinfo | grep direct

The output from the above 2 commands will help determine what the problem may be.

Thanks.

Thanks, "lspci -k | grep --after 2 VGA" brought back the following:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce GTS 250] (rev a2)
Subsystem: Device 196e:0593
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

And "glxinfo | grep direct" brought back the following:
direct rendering: Yes
GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_EXT_direct_state_access,

Thanks,

Hibba.

So this confirms that Linux properly recognizes your video card, loads the correct kernel driver (driver is nvidia), and the driver is working fine (glxinfo command). My curiousity is whether your warcraft bottle has the necessary components for the login screen to load properly. Do you have the following components loaded in your wow bottle?
Core Microsoft Fonts
Microsoft Visual C+ 2008 Redistributable

The Battle.net login screen requires MS Visual C++ 2008 being installed. If you have the above components installed, then I'd ask you to post the list of installed application in the wow bottle. I'm not a codeweaver staff member so I may be wrong, but I believe you should also be able to open a support ticket since Wow is a supported Crossover Games application.

Good luck.
<rant>Since a few weeks ago, my Warcraft experience has been severely degrading to the point of considering dual-boot once again. The graphics rendering changes they made in Cata are substantial. Warcraft under Crossover runs at about 25fps on a quad core Intel (Q series) with 8GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 460 with 768MB of RAM.</rant>

Is your issue resolved Andrew?

Andrew Jamison wrote:

I get this error when trying to launch the game the launcher loads
and works fine but hitting play will throw this error up.

I am on Fedora 14 64bit have Crossover games 10beta ( have tried
this on the last stable non beta same issue)

Currently have the ATI proprietary graphics drivers installed and
configured. I am running it in Crosfire X mode as I have two
identical graphics cards (not sure this is the issue or not)

Any other information you need let me know

James Whiteley wrote:

So this confirms that Linux properly recognizes your video card,
loads the correct kernel driver (driver is nvidia), and the driver
is working fine (glxinfo command). My curiousity is whether your
warcraft bottle has the necessary components for the login screen to
load properly. Do you have the following components loaded in your
wow bottle?
Core Microsoft Fonts
Microsoft Visual C+ 2008 Redistributable

The Battle.net login screen requires MS Visual C++ 2008 being
installed. If you have the above components installed, then I'd ask
you to post the list of installed application in the wow bottle. I'm
not a codeweaver staff member so I may be wrong, but I believe you
should also be able to open a support ticket since Wow is a
supported Crossover Games application.

Good luck.
<rant>Since a few weeks ago, my Warcraft experience has been
severely degrading to the point of considering dual-boot once again.
The graphics rendering changes they made in Cata are substantial.
Warcraft under Crossover runs at about 25fps on a quad core Intel (Q
series) with 8GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 460 with 768MB of
RAM.</rant>

Thanks, after looking at my bottle, I appear to have had only the MS Visual C++ 2005 one installed. I installed the 2008 version through crossover (Don't know how to uninstall the old version, so I left it there; I might have both now?) but it still isn't working. It looks like the core fonts are installed, too, I think.

About my bottle, it is actually archived from my Gentoo Linux install that has CXGames 9.2.1, and it would run okay on it. I might try installing it from a fresh bottle later.

I also noticed something else... it looks like it is more of a DirectX problem. Here is the terminal log of running the Launcher:

[cxhibba@Senior-project ~]$ /home/cxhibba/cxgames/bin/cxrun --bottle /home/cxhibba/.cxgames/WoW-Cataclysm/ /home/cxhibba/.cxgames/WoW-Cataclysm/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Launcher.exe
Use of "goto" to jump into a construct is deprecated at /home/cxhibba/cxgames/lib/perl/XML/SAX/PurePerl/Reader/Stream.pm line 56.
Use of "goto" to jump into a construct is deprecated at /home/cxhibba/cxgames/lib/perl/XML/SAX/PurePerl/Reader/Stream.pm line 56.
%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmap%S: %s_create_dc_and_bitmaparchive Data\enUS\base-enUS.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-3.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-2.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-1.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-0.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/SoundCache-enUS.MPQ opened
archive Data/wow-update-13164.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/patch-enUS-13164.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/patch-base-13164.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/SoundCache-patch-enUS-13164.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-patch-13164.MPQ opened
archive Data/wow-update-13205.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/patch-enUS-13205.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/patch-base-13205.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/SoundCache-patch-enUS-13205.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-patch-13205.MPQ opened
archive Data/wow-update-13287.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/patch-enUS-13287.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/patch-base-13287.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/SoundCache-patch-enUS-13287.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-patch-13287.MPQ opened
archive Data/wow-update-13329.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/patch-enUS-13329.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/patch-base-13329.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enUS/SoundCache-patch-enUS-13329.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-patch-13329.MPQ opened
archive Data\art.MPQ opened
archive Data\world.MPQ opened
archive Data\sound.MPQ opened
archive Data\enUS\locale-enUS.MPQ opened
archive Data\enUS\speech-enUS.MPQ opened
Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL.

Next, I've had some trouble running a game in Steam (Mafia II, which I know isn't supported, but I believe it gave errors about DirectX as well). Here is the log for that:

[cxhibba@Senior-project ~]$ /home/cxhibba/cxgames/bin/cxrun --bottle /home/cxhibba/.cxgames/Steam/ /home/cxhibba/.cxgames/Steam/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe
CellID: Fetching server list from CSDS. . .
CellID: CSDS returned 179 servers.
CellID: Connecting to 209.197.6.228:27031. . .
CellID: Connect to 209.197.6.228:27031 took 77 MS
CellID: Nothing beat our old best time of 61 MS
ALSA lib pcm.c:2171:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2171:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
Shutting down. . .
wine: Unhandled exception 0xc000000d at address 0x8d0023:0x00483a8c (thread 001c), starting debugger...

And brings up an error dialog box saying "DirectX is not installed properly. "

Hope this helps. 😊.

Hibba.

Hmmm... first thing I would do is reinstall your video drivers and test it with glxgears, make sure it is over 1k or whatever is normal. This should help with the error about not having openGL for directX.

dave

PS... I mean that you need to reinstall your drivers... I understand that it works, but you might need to try another version or something. I have had this problem with both nvidia and ati, and a new driver or reinstall fixes it. I do not know what else it could be.

Something else has hit me... make sure you have 32 bit compatible nvidia drivers... even if they are 64 bit, they must have the 32 bit compatible drivers. Weird, i know.

dave

Hi,

For the record, glxgears is a very bad test choice -- if the problem is related
to 32bit opengl libs, glxgears will run perfectly and not disclose any problem, as
it may well be using the 64bit opengl libs...uh-huh? 8)

@Hibba -- run the following command, and look at the terminal output ;

~/cxgames/bin/cxdiag --debug

The last half-dozen lines will disclose what Crossover is seeing wrt your videocard
drivers/opengl.

Cheers!

Gosh, you beat me on the 32 bit compatible drivers. I strained my brain on that. LOL 😀

dave

=)

..actually, I think is was a dead heat ;)

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Hi,

For the record, glxgears is a very bad test choice -- if the
problem is related
to 32bit opengl libs, glxgears will run perfectly and not disclose
any problem, as
it may well be using the 64bit opengl libs...uh-huh? 8)

@Hibba -- run the following command, and look at the terminal output
;

~/cxgames/bin/cxdiag --debug

The last half-dozen lines will disclose what Crossover is seeing wrt
your videocard
drivers/opengl.

Cheers!

Thanks, here are the last 6 lines of that command's output:

default screen=0, planes=24
glXChooseVisual() failed
[OpenglNotWorking]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL does not work"
"Description"="OpenGL did not work in our simple tests. This means OpenGL and DirectX applications, including most games, will likely not work. Other applications should be unaffected."

I just installed the 32-bit compatibility files and that did the trick! Thanks all! For anyone else having this problem, please see the Special Notes section of "http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia" for more information on the package to install.

Hibba.

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQlBnVDJFV2ZZOTdLUGZQZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9