World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Graphical Issues

Now that I have the game installed, I am able to run World of Warcraft. There's just one problem: I can't see anything. I can hear the login screen music, but everything is black. Any suggestions?

Let me provide some more details:

• I installed World of Warcraft under my user directory on the OpenSUSE partition of my computer. I'm trying to remove the need for Windows on my machine completely.

• I have added SET gxApi "opengl" to the Config.wtf file as recommended. Running the command glxinfo | grep rendering returns direct rendering: Yes just as it should.

• Video card is NVidia GeForce 7300 LE

• Version of OpenSUSE is 11.1.

• I was lacking the discs for World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade, and the only workaround that I could find for accepting the TOS involving mounting the discs. I was finally able to install World of Warcraft using the unsupported build crossover-games-demo-7.1.2-1.i386.rpm.

Again, the problem is that the screen turns black once I get the game running. I can hear the login screen music, but I can't do anything but press escape to close the game.

If anyone can please offer some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there

Do you still have your old installation of WoW? Thisone which you installed under Windows? If so try to just launch this installation (will be fine if its on an NTFS Partition). But before make the changes in the config.wtf. And maybe the changes in the Registry, look over at WineHQ (sorry had no time to look for the Link)

For me it worked like a charm. Until now i just installed WoW once under Windows and copied it on my Notebook and maybe 3 or 4 other Computers, never had any issue.

Greetings

gruesch

Joël Greuter wrote:

Hey there

Do you still have your old installation of WoW? Thisone which you
installed under Windows? If so try to just launch this installation
(will be fine if its on an NTFS Partition). But before make the
changes in the config.wtf. And maybe the changes in the Registry,
look over at WineHQ (sorry had no time to look for the Link)

For me it worked like a charm. Until now i just installed WoW once
under Windows and copied it on my Notebook and maybe 3 or 4 other
Computers, never had any issue.

Greetings

gruesch

Hello, Joël. Thank you very much for your response.

I might be doing this wrong, but I just attempted to run the installation of World of Warcraft that's located under my Windows partition by navigating to the directory via the Nautilus file browser and double-clicking on Wow.exe. Nothing happened. I also tried this with Launcher.exe, and I tried right clicking on them both to open with "Run with CrossOver". Still no luck.

Also, as for the Windows installation, I just discovered that my Windows partition might be hosed. I just tried to switch over to the Windows partition, and I got an error saying that the hal.dll file is either missing or corrupt. I'm not sure if running World of Warcraft from Windows is going to work.

Hey there once more 😉

Hmmmm okay

I haven't run it with Crossover at the moment, sry i just used wine xD
I will have a look today with crossover, after work. Maybe I will find something.

Until then (I just started work ^^ ) maybe this will help you in some way => http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14154

Scroll down a little bit to the section labeled "HOWTO - updated 2009-01-21" there you'll find some very helpfull comments.

So now I have to do some work, see you later and good luck

greetings

gruesch

Running smooth as glass, very nice...read on.
Operating system: Ubuntu 8.04LTS
Crossover Games: 7.2 beta
Card: ATI Radeon Mobility (x800)
Driver: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Linux x86
Mobility Radeon (laptop type)
Mobility Radeon x800
Note: its a .run file, and yes that's exactly what you want
Instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239797

Unimportant: this works so well I run the compiz cube with effects, and WoW. At the very least try this driver if your running what I am.

Avery,

I had this exact same problem. The issue is with the Pixel Shader acceleration in the Configuration.

To fix, go to Crossover Games -> Configuration -> Control Panel -> Winecfg -> Graphics tab and disable the Pixel Shader option.
It got rid of the black screen, but the game seemed to lag afterwards.

EDIT: Using OpenGL will show the black screen

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY3p3VktMSzJxYzVKU2g4ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9