World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Access violation after upgrading to 9.04 RC. Note that I do NOT get this with latest Wine PPA

This weekend I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04. Part of the reason I did this was to see if the updates they made to PulseAudio would finally allow me to stop having to deal with the issues I was facing with WoW.

Pre upgrade:

Most times I played, something would happen in game, my sound would disappear, I would eventually get an error message, and WoW would crash. Sometimes I could go on for a while without sound without it crashing, but most times it would just crash.

Solution: restart the pulseaudio daemon.

Post upgrade:

The cool thing about the fact that they've completely reconfigured the pulseaudio "stuff" is that I at least have sound until I get the access violations. So in theory it might not have anything to do with the audio piece - it's just similar behavior.

I have no solution because I barely get in when it crashes.

I do have alsa set as the sound driver in winecfg for this bottle.

I have also set up the latest Wine PPA from winehq to see if I could get WoW up and running - I just pointed it at the WoW installation from my cxgames folder so that I was using the exact same set up - same config.wtf, same everything in order to reduce variables, and it works.

Any thoughts? Anything that I'm missing?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUW5SdW1oQ3JlR3RrS0FWbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9