World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

"World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration."

Hi,

I have the trial version of Crossover, and have installed World of Warcraft. I am using Ubuntu 7.04.

When I go to start WoW, I get the following error: "World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration."
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks.

EDIT: I managed to solve this problem by running the following command in terminal:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

Followed by a restart.

Installation went well enough, but I too got the message "unable to start up 3D acceleration". I am using an ATI Radeon 9200.

Fortunately, I've gotten past that problem and am now downloading the WoW patches. The solution for me was to run WoW.exe directly rather than through the menu. For example, my desktop launcher runs:

"/home/me/.cxgames/win2000/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/WoW.exe"

instead of the icon crossover put there which was set to:

"/home/me/.cxgames/win2000/desktopdata/cxmenu/Desktop.c^5E3A^5Fwindows^5Fprofiles^5FAll^2BUsers^5FDesktop/World+of+Warcraft"

--B

Whoops. It seems that when WoW actually ran, I was using the plain vanilla version of WINE that I had installed earlier using Debian's apt-get system. I still can't get the CrossOver Games version to run at all, but I'd like to since I've heard it is faster. (Also, I want to support CodeWeavers' good work.)

--B

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieEZlejY2Z0M2cGM5cHZQQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9