World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Voice Chat in WoW

Hi everyone,

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and Crossover 6.2 Pro. I wanted to get the Voice Chat working in WoW. In order to handle multiple audio streams, its necessary to use ALSA instead of OSS. But when I enable ALSA, the sound is really terrible and choppy.

So I did a little sidestep and installed the newest version of wine (0.9.49). WoW runs quite smoothly out of the box (it is a good idea to apply the suggested registry tweaks anyways) and the good thing is, ALSA (and the voice chat) now works flawlessly with my sound card (HDA Intel).

Is there a way to make crossover use the new version of wine (6.2 is using version 0.9.46)?

Rob

So did you take WoW entirely out of CrossOver? Or did you somehow insert the newer version of wine into your CrossOver installation?

I have alsa enabled, have the choppy sound issues, and still have zero voice chat ability. :P

Liz

My solution was to move out of CX 6.2 Pro entirely, and moved it into wine. Then I used the aoss packaged to wrap my binary so that I could get full voice chat/audio functionality.

Now that CxGames is out, I'm very happy with what I see :) I've switched back to CX, and can remove the aoss wrapper step.

Liz

For information about how I got the mic working correctly in cxgames:

http://www.buberel.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/266-Voice-chat-in-World-of-Warcaft-with-a-USB-microphone-and-Wine.html

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTHFKUUtlNkZKRVlIbUc4VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9