World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW Freezes after 3-5 min of play

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with a P4 3.2 Intel CPU, nVidia 6800 GT (AGP), 1 gig of RAM, etc. I have been trying to get WoW working for a while now. I have copied my entire WoW folder over from my windows box, and have tried running it with WINE. Everything works great, I can log in and play with about 30-45 fps, the sound is working great as well, until about 5 min into playing, the game just freezes (not my computer, just the game). I have searched the Ubuntu forums for a solution with no luck. So the other day I decided to see if Crossover would work--so I downloaded the trial, and fired up the game--no dice, it does the same thing running under crossover. Someone please help, as this is the last thing tieing my down do owning a windows box.

You should install the game in crossover, do not copy the Windows installation over. Crossover adjusts a few things in the wow configuration to make it run better.

What you propably need is to add 'set gxAPI "OpenGL"' in WTF/Config.wtf.

Thanks for the response. I have already configured my config file with OpenGL--I had to to run it under WINE. At any rate, I am just reinstalling it using Crossover...i hope it works. Instead of using my discs (because that takes FOREVER), I am downloading the files from the WoW website, and I right clicked on the .exe file and said open with Crossover--will this "install" with Crossover, or is there anything else I need to do?

I am not sure if crossover will recognise the downloaded wow installer as wow. I think it is safer to install it from the cds.

Ok...thanks for the info.

I noticed that you are using an AGP video card with Ubuntu. In the past I have had severe difficulties with AGP video cards, WoW, and Ubuntu. While I have yet to get to the bottom of this, I believe the problem was caused with a conflict between the video card drivers and Ubuntu's AGP support. If you could answer some questions for me, I might be able to offer some assistance.

1) How much memory does your video card have?

2) What version of the NVIDIA drivers are you using? How were they installed?

3) In your motherboard's BIOS configuration utility, what is your AGP aperture size?

4) Do you have any add-ons installed?

5) How does the game run with sound disabled? Does it still freeze?

What I did to correct this problem was switch to a different Linux distribution. Again, I am not 100% positive that it was a problem with Ubuntu and the AGP implementation, but after switching to a different distribution World of Warcraft has run flawlessly on my machine (with the exception of the sound issues, but that's patch-related and a Crossover issue). Prior to switching distributions, I noticed that upgrading my BIOS to the latest version alleviated the problem somewhat.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTnJBNnZ0c2R4UE1hZ2ZoOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9