World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Minimap in Cities

The minimap works great in the world of warcraft game in linux except when i go into a city the minimap is solid white but the pointer is still visiable

I guess that you have a radeon card and are using the open source r200 or r300 driver. The broken minimap is a bug of that driver: Pbuffer support for offscreen rendering is missing.

I have a radeon card yet but I am not using open source drivers I am using the proprietary ones from ATI

Which card type and driver do you use? For r200 cards, there are older drivers only(8.27.something I think), and pbuffers are broken there as well. I don't know how r300 cards and newer drivers work.

Sorry for the delayed response been busy

I have a radeon 9550 and I am using the latest driver 8.455.2

I do a check and DRI is on but I am running Wow in opengl mode should i try Direct 3D and if so how

I think this is a fglrx driver limitation. World of Warcraft uses WGL PBuffers to draw the minimap to an offscreen buffer, then copies it into a texture which it draws onto the screen. Crossover uses GLX pbuffers to implement WGL pbuffers, but fglrx does not support them.

A workaround is to use WoW's D3D renderer, because our d3d to opengl mapper is more flexible and can deal with the lack of pbuffers. You can do so by removing the line "Set gxAPI "OpenGL"" in wtf/config.wtf in the wow installation directory. However, D3D is a bit slower than opengl and has other bugs.

Ok I will try that and see what happens. I still think it odd however that minimaps load fine in zones but not so in cities

I actually had the same problem with the official Mac client (OpenGL only) for WoW where my minimap would disappear in capital cities and some random towns like Astranaar. I never did figure out what the problem was and when I upgraded to 10.5 the problem went away so I assumed it was just an issue with the drivers (I have the Radeon 2600 HD in an iMac). Maybe I'll give the Windows client a try in cxmac and see if I can duplicate your problem.

Andrew Jamison wrote:

Ok I will try that and see what happens. I still think it odd
however that minimaps load fine in zones but not so in cities

Wow draws the city and outside zone minimaps differently. In cities, it draws them to a PBuffer, reads them back to a texture and then draws the texture onto the screen. Outside of the cities, it draws the minimap directly on the screen.

Since my problem is so closely related, I have decided to post it in this thread. If I should move to a new thread, let me know.

I have the solid-white minimap issue, and the same solid white circle for my character face and any target's face in the upper left UI (see pics). After removing 'Set gxAPI "OpenGL"' from config.WTF, the minimap shows up normal but the character faces are transparent now.

edit I haven't tested the minimap outside of a city. Should I do that?

I have posted screenshots to help communicate clearly.

with 'Set gxAPI "OpenGL"' in config file
without 'Set gxAPI "OpenGL"' in config file

Thank you all very much. Awesome work, I'll be happy to pay for Crossover Games once everything is working and I understand the process.

config.WTF Changelog

entered 'Set UIFaster "0"' to fix icon problems (found from Blizzard support)

System Specs

Lenovo z61t laptop
Intel Mobile 945GM integrated video card
1.5GB RAM
~2Ghz intel Core 2 Duo
Ubuntu 7.10
Crossover Games 7.0.0

The previous fix caused me to crash while on a Griffin ride. Putting 'Set gxAPI "OpenGL" ' back into the config file allowed me to restart WoW. Interestingly enough, my character and target's faces were visible again. This was outside of a city though, so, my issue may be only occurring inside of cities as well. I'll update when I can test again.

yeah my issue is still present is there any way to increase PBuffer support to CXGames

You need pbuffer support in your graphics driver, then crossover has pbuffer support for WoW.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWs1ZThNeHhhTnN0UGNYOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9