World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

List of Video Cards that work for WOW

Here is the List So Far of known working Video Cards and if known the versions of linux used to run WOW.
I will try and keep it updated with cards that people post and the different version of linux used

radeon mobility M9
geforce 7600--.
GeForce 4 MX 440--Ubuntu 6.06-6.10.
GeForce 5600--Ubuntu 6.06-6.10.
GeForce 6800--Ubuntu 6.06-6.10.
ATI Radeon X1300 Pro--Ubuntu 6.06-6.10
Nvidia 7600
nVidia 7800GT--SuSE 10.1 AMD64
Mobility FireGL v5200
nVidia Quadro NVS 110M--Gentoo 2006.1

Nice. What drivers are you running on each? I know we tested these cards in-house. All on Ubuntu 6.10.

Here is what I tested so far:
GeForce 6800 -- good
GeForce 6600 GT -- good
GeForce 440 MX -- good but slow
ATI Radeon X1300 Pro - does not work for me, locks up on loading

So far all nVidea cards run fine. I tested the 8776 drivers that ship in Ubuntu 6.10. ATI drivers fail for me, I tested all the driver versions for the last year. I put that X1300 in two different systems, same results. Good to hear someone else has it working.

These are from the other thread that i compiled togeather into on post.

But i have tried all the Nvidia except the 7600 and 7800 with the automatix default
Nvidia drivers and they have worked very well.

The ATI radeon X1300 i did get running well also but i had to use

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html
this driver. all on Ubuntu 6.10

WoW runs just fine on my nVidia Quadro NVS 110M PCI Express card using nvidia's current beta driver (1.0-9746) on an up to date Gentoo 2006.1 install. I have not seen any problems with the various effects using nVidia cards since cx5.0.3. :)

WoW runs great under the 6.0 release.. aside from slightly lower frame rates than under windows. I have noticed that WoW does not seem to use as much memory under cxoffice compared to native Windows XP Pro (400-500ish MB vs. over a GB). I would expect cxoffice to use the same or slightly more memory, not significantly less.

Got it working on an ATI x300 Mobility. Granted this card has only 32MB of memory, which makes event WoW tough to run. Used this driver as posted above:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

The only issue I'm seeing is lots of stuttering music and sound effects. I turned off hardware acceleration in the Sound Options, which might help a bit. Game crashes when I try to change any Video Options. Using the config posted in Tips/Tricks here. Hell I'm just happy I got it running on Linux - thanks Codeweavers! :)

Caveat: xgl/compiz is disabled - in fact, with these drivers, I don't think xgl will even work anymore... but who cares! :D

My Geforce 440 Go works rather well, although a little bit slower than on Windows.

This is compared to the Geforce 6800 which works better than Windows, I'm assuming it is because of driver problems.

So:

Geforce 4 MX 440 Go -- Ubuntu 6.06-7.04

Geforce 7600gt running opensuse 10.2 x86-64. Works's great.

I have a GeForce 6600GT. The graphics look great as ever, seems to run smoothly while it runs its short-lived life, and then my whole system freezes. I'm suspecting its a sound card issue, because on load into the game the sound will stutter and lag. After a few moments of playtime, the computer locks up completely. I've had a hell of a time getting this far, and I consider just being able to play for 2 minutes tops is leaping tall mountains. It's been a pain in the ass trying to get wow to work with linux, kubuntu was my choice, and from all the stuff I've sifted through to get where I am.......I don't feel as if I learned anything. So much trial and error, no wonder people cling to Microsoft unwilling to try the alternative. I can't say I've enjoyed any of this, and I definitely won't be configuring my wife's computer to run linux.

Anyway, my sound card is a Montego DDL 7.1 by Turtle Beach. Somewhere in there, I set winecfg to use only OSS. I've checked their website and they proudly note that they do not support linux drivers for my card. Just lemme know what I need to tell you about my system if more details are required. Thank you all for any progress in this matter.

To prove it is your sound card, you could simply disable all the drivers in winecfg for sound.

Hardware on Linux will always be a touchy issue. Video Cards and Sound Cards are the worst as companies keep things secret to keep some competitive advantage. At least in the area of video cards you can get binary drivers from the major vendors. The ALSA project for sound does the best it can for sound.

The rule of thumb usually is, the newer the hardware, the more likely it will give you problems. Hence why to this day, I still use and old Sound Blaster Live! card for sound.

Hey thanks for replying to my thread, Jeremy, so promptly. Disabled sound in winecfg. It still locks up after a few minutes from startup. I noticed if I logged into world of warcraft really quickly, it would go into the game (this is repeated behavior), and then lock up after a few moments of play. Or if I wasted a little bit of time at the login screen without logging in, it would freeze there. In either situation, the only way out is to reboot. I welcome your continued advice in this matter. Thank you for being here. :D

Well, I discovered codeweavers crossover program and it works like a charm. I would hope someday I could figure out the bigger picture and solve issues effectively in the future, but CrossOver on first impressions is doing awesome. Perhaps it can be reccommended for those who are completely new at linux and want to play their microsoft platform games. It was very easy to install and I forsee a license purchase in the near future. Sadly, it took me a while to realize that this place offered a product to suit my needs. Thank you for all the help, and I'm glad I've stumbled my way to where I want to be.

could you please post your kernel config? (/proc/config.gz) - I have an X1300 with a custom kernel and I can't get it to work properly. I don't think its a kernel issue but if you could post your kernel then I would be able to check.
thanks

Works fantastic on Geforce 7300, 256 MB ram, 9631 dirvers

Has anyone got WoW working with a Radeon Xpress 200m (laptop card, integrated, shared memory yeah i know it sucks) I get around 20 fps in low population areas in windows but i get a constant 4-7 fps in WoW in Linux, I am not sure if it is the ATI drivers or my setup any input on this is appreciated. I hate booting into windows just to play WoW.

new to Ubuntu usage at home, but got an 256M ATI 9550 working on 7.04 using ATI's latest linux drivers.

OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 6200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL Version: 2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.11
Linux Distro: Gentoo 2007.0

Runs great with Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHz) and 1GB RAM.

I have managed to get WoW working in the past on an ATI Radeon 9550 in Ubuntu 7.0.4 but at times there would be a 10 second lag then it would run fine I am guessing this was when the card was swaping memory with the computer

I am currently testing this card with Fedora 7 and will report back if i am able to get it working

A lot of players will buy virtual currency from some such service provider,
just like www.exgains.com. They provide both gold and plv very cheap, but is has harmed
the banlance in the game.

Are you finding an account with high level? Do you want to sell your account which you are no more need it? You can sell or buy your account in www.exgains.com for free. Also, you can exchange your items or something else in www.exgains.com. We do it just for the benefit for all players. 😅

You can add

GeForce 7400 -- openSUSE 10.3 to the list. I used the nVidia software repo to get the latest drivers.

working on my ATI Radeon X850 XT PE (AGP)

running openSUSE 10.3 with 8.42.3 drivers on Intel P4 3ghz with 1gb ram

ATI Radeon 9550 - Fedora Core 6, Fedora7, Fedora8

This using the most recent version of CrossOver 6.2

In my case, the game has been unplayable under Crossover Linux since I upgraded my computer to a new ATI card. In particular, it will crash soon after I log in, just as the loading bar reaches completion. So:

ATI HD 2600 XT - Crashes
Kubuntu 7.10 on AMD64
ATI propietary driver 43.2

It shall be pointed that the same happens with all previous releases of the new drivers. I can't try with the older ones since they didn't supported this particular graphic card model.

You can add nVidia Geforce 6800GT 256 -- Debian 4.1 AMD64

(Actually that is listed with Ubuntu, just another distro added.)

Oscar Portela wrote:

In my case, the game has been unplayable under Crossover Linux since
I upgraded my computer to a new ATI card. In particular, it will
crash soon after I log in, just as the loading bar reaches
completion. So:

ATI HD 2600 XT - Crashes
Kubuntu 7.10 on AMD64
ATI propietary driver 43.2

It shall be pointed that the same happens with all previous releases
of the new drivers. I can't try with the older ones since they
didn't supported this particular graphic card model.

What distribution are you using

Damn, no edit - button. ;(

Full info would be: GF6800GT 256 / Debian 4.1 AMD64 / GL_VERSION: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 97.55

Ubunut 7.10 with NVidia GeForce 7600 GT using nvidia-glx-new package version 100.14.19.

So far, so good!

Fedora 8 x86
Official nVidia driver 96.43.01
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x] (rev a1)

WoW is working great!

1 to 28 of 28

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic2toclpDbWRSdGVVOGJtQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9