World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

no subject

I've had a heck of a time getting sound mixing to work with wow. I've read lots of posts and modified lots of config files. while in gnome or kde the only luck ive had as been with esound. even with dmix i can only get it to work with native alsa apps. so im leaning towards esound. what do i have to do to get wow to play nice with other sound aps like xmms or windows apps like ventrilo?
the faq on this subject seams to be really vague and appears to be outdated.

also im lossing the mouse cursor on the screen. it seams to be jumping around usually when fighting or in a mob. is this lag? what can i do about it.

Depends on your sound chip really. I use an SB live and have no issues with it.

If you use Gnome, you may need to turn off the ESD sound mixing. Uncheck it from the Sound Prefs in Gnome. Depending on your system, ESD takes over all sound.

Not sure about the mouse lag, that is new to me. Could be high CPU load. Trying turning down your graphic settings a bit or lower the resolution of the game.

Hi,

This seems like an appropriate place to add my similar problem.

I actually have sound in wow when I'm using gnome, and cxoffice set to use alsa. I can even play music and use other sound apps while playing wow. My problem is with the new kde4. I've installed it using the kubuntu repos, and my sound works fine, but when i start wow in kde4, the game will work, but it has no sound. I'm not for sure why there would be a difference between running the game in gnome vs. kde. I'm at a total loss, and can't seem to find anything about this anywhere on the web.

Thanks in advance for some direction here.

As Jeremy said, it really depends a lot from the chip you use. What card do you have? Is it external card (as in a PCI - card), or an integrated chip such as AC97 aaudio used by ie. VIA and Intel boards?

Case 1. External card.
Exellent possibilities to get it working how ever you want. depends a bit from the chip. (I suggest SB Live.. Have Audigy 2 ZS myself..)

Case 2. Integrated chip.
Don't even try it. (Or if you do, you're gonna be asking for trouble..)
I believe you want it to work as following: Game (such as WoW) + VoIP - software (Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc)..?
Only way that you get that with an integrated chip could be possible useing a third-party commercial software such as OSS. (the new one, old was in kernel like Alsa nowdays is..)

Reason for this problem is, that in Linux the audio software works a bit differently then in windows, from my experience (WARNING, a GUESS on it's way..) with internal chips is that Windows uses software to get those work full-duplex mode. (correct if wrong..) PCI cards like ie. the one I have (audigy 2 ZS) has built-in hardware to use full-duplex.

(Full-duplex == many sound channels at once)

Linux drivers "lock" the audio software so, that if one software uses the chip, others can't send sounds in.

I used demo version of OSS to create 2 fake-audiocards that took Game sounds to one and VoIP to other, and those combined audio and sent it to the real card. But it took around 2 weeks to get it to work, and a whole lot of coffee and tabaccos to achieve. Then I bought SB Audigy ZS and it works all right away.

-Thautane-

P.S Jeremy, correct me if I had wrong/old information, Had to go through that sh*t so long time ago that luckily I've forgotten most of it..
P.P.S For you who have the problem; post here what cards you use. The model and the chip it has. Let's search for a solution when we have more info.

Cheers.

I'm still having problems getting sound to work. I just bought a Sound Blaster Audigy SE, but that didn't help. I have the same problems with this card as I do with the onboard sound. Ie., choppy sound, or completely freezes up. (Yes, I disabled onboard sound in the bios).

If I change the sound output driver from System Default to anything else, it freezes up WoW and crashes. That's always fun and joyous.

I'm not really sure what else to do. I've tweaked the config.wtf file to within an inch of it's life. I'm frustrated because there's still zero voice chat capability, choppy sound, and an app that's freezing up or not loading. What's more frustrating is that pre-2.3, I didn't have these problems (well, other than the sound, but then I generally played with sound turned off so it didn't matter. Now with voice chat, sound is important.

Thanks,
Liz

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZEdZR0p5cUVYMmFxV2FSZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9