World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

the char running bug

I have experienced that my char suddenly began to run. If I start to press s ( for back) she will just stand still, I can still do everything as normal. The bug comes most of the time when I tab from WoW to KDE and start a program based around QT

I have seen this issue as well. You might be better off running the game in windowed mode. Full screen seems to have some issues with task swapping and keyboard state.

I prefer not to run WoW in window mode since it seems to run slower in a window on my computer. It did also ran slower in window mode on Windows XP

I have this problem too. I am running in Windowed mode tho. I've been using the reload UI to get it to stop but it can be DANG inconvenient.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have seen this problem a long time ago, and was able to duplicate it and figured out what the cause was. I seem to think it was related to xmodkeys.. but I really don't remember.

What I did to correct the problem, however was to use xlaunch. I just run wow using xlaunch, which puts WoW in its own X11 screen so I no longer need to worry about anything the windows manager/decorator is doing. That fixed all my fullscreen/wm key-binding problems, and switching between the windows manager (fluxbox, gnome, KDE, etc) and WoW is nice and easy using Ctrl+Alt+Function keys. I have been using xlaunch for awhile, and haven't had any problems with it. However, you cannot copy & paste to the windows manager and if you are running an older version of Beryl you may have problems returning to your windows manager from WoW.

You can read about the xlaunch script here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-483004.html
You can download it here (also in the above link): http://fatimademe.free.fr/truc/xlaunch

The simplest way to set it up is to:
1) Download the script and copy it somewhere (/usr/bin/xlaunch for instance, /usr/local/bin, or just in your homedirectory)
2) Make the script executable (chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/xlaunch for instance)
3) Create an alias to run it:
echo alias wow='/usr/local/bin/xlaunch cxoffice/bin/wow' >> ~/.bashrc (if you have cxoffice installed with the default settings: single-user mode using ~/cxoffice)
4) run the command 'wow' from a terminal screen.

By default xlaunch will grab the first available screen (usually Ctrl+Alt+F8 to get back to it) but you can hard-code a screen of preference in the script.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOTgyR0pXZ1FIUHJaM0I4ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9