World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Launcher can't update...:(

Hi all.....

Im a beginner at Linux, even moreso in using it at home, and I recently installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my boyfriend's pc. We installed Ubuntu, WoW and BC with no issues whatsoever. Runs a bit laggy in some spots, and tends to crash every now and then, but its definitely doable. It even likes the wireless :)

So, this is good news, and I install Ubuntu on my machine, and everything goes smooth. My boyfriends machine is a bit different, but same processor and chipsets. I loaded WoW into Crossover, and it installs good, using the same disks and copying all .MPQ files into a folder. When I launch from the desktop icon created by Crossover, my Launcher loads normally but says its "Downloading updated tools (16kb)" in the little box on the bottom left above the options button. The graphics and WoW links are all working and even looks exactly like a Windows box running the Launcher. It never stops doing this download (I left it running for over 10 hrs while at work, and came home to it still sitting there) and I cant click the play button to bypass (its grayed out). WoW was manually patched on both machines up to 2.1.2.6803, downloaded from Fileplanet. Ive tried redirecting the shortcut but just ended up hosing the entire bottle, and having to reinstall..... and then getting the same exact problem.

Any ideas?

My system is a bit old, AMD 1.99G with 1.5G Ram and a 128M ATI 9700, ASUS Mobo.
My boyfriends system is the same cpu, with only a gig of ram, a 256M ATI 9550, and a PCchips Mobo.

Thanks in advance....and please be gentle when asking for additional info.....:)

(edit) forgot to add that the bottle doesnt lock up, I can kill the Launcher with the X.

(edit)
I went to http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=1185;forum=1;msg=6215

<quote>
1) manually download from one of the mirror sites listed on blizzard ( I think I picked fileshack or something ).
2) unzip file into your directory ( this should create the 3 mpq files ...
wow-final.MPQ ( ~ 6 MB )
wow-partial-1.MPQ ( ~ 250 MB )
wow-partial-2.MPQ ( ~ 22 MB )
3) manually run the updater ( BNUpdate I think it is ... not 100% ). This takes a long time ... like say 10 minutes give or take. What appeared to be happening for me was that a window appeared ( although it was empty except for the frame ). There were also a bunch of .temp files created ... after you have started up wow successfully, you can just delete them if the patcher doesn't clean up. Do not start wow prior to running the updater. If you do it will zero the patch *.mpq files and you will need to unzip and update again.
4) Start wow.
<quote>

but unfortunately, I cannot find a zipped patch file to download. The only files my boyfriend's machine has that I dont, are some partially downloaded files that we just went to fileplanet for (alot faster than the P2P WoW Patcher).

I noticed that you happened to also post this question on a related support ticket. What I did to correct the Launcher 16kb problem was to install the latest version of Wine from the official Wine respoitories, and then I executed Launcher.exe with Wine. This enabled the Launcher program to download the newest WoW update and it now allows you to launch WoW from the Launcher by pressing the "Play" button. You can either continue to run WoW through Wine or you could use Crossover, the only differences I noticed were that WoW freezes upon exiting the program in Crossover and that Wine wasn't running WoW as fast as Crossover, but Wow does not freeze on exit in Wine.

Thank you!!! Im going to try it now :)

Ok, here's what I did....used this site to get the newest Wine installed --
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft --which ran really well.

I then used this site to get WoW's downloader working.....like a champ :)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_and_update_World_Of_Warcraft_with_wine

Then.....I got the "WoW cannot start 3D rendering".....I tried all the tips and tricks from both the above sites....the registry key edit, Config.wtf, and xorg.conf. Nothing appears to make a difference.

Im using ATI's latest and greatest, 8.38.6. My settings are here if curious... http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/dragonchild666/config-xorg

Thanks again for your help...Ive gotten way farther that I expected....and my Nvidia 7600s should be here soon!

Also found my fglrxinfo -- shouldnt this have ATI info in it?

$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

I tried all of the steps here ( http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Troubleshooting ) and didnt get anywhere.

ladydeth666 wrote:

Im using ATI's latest and greatest, 8.38.6. My settings are here if
curious...
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/dragonchild666/config-xorg

Thanks again for your help...Ive gotten way farther that I
expected....and my Nvidia 7600s should be here soon!

Also found my fglrxinfo -- shouldnt this have ATI info in it?

I'm not really familiar with ATI hardware, but how did you install the drivers? You said you were running Ubuntu, so I would suggest that you use Envy to install the drivers. Download the latest stable release of Envy, install it with:
sudo dpkg -i envy*.deb
An error message concerning missing dependencies will be returned, to correct that enter:
sudo apt-get -f install
Now Envy and its dependencies will be installed. Envy should now be accessible from "Applications > System Tools > Envy" Click on Envy and you will be prompted to enter your password and then the program should load. From there select "Install the ATI driver" and select "OK" when prompted to configure your Xorg configuration and "OK" again when asked to reboot your PC. If all went well, the newest ATI driver should be installed. Try to launch WoW and let us know what happens.

I think (Ive been on soooo many forums and wikis) I installed the ATI driver with the instructions from http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page (ATI driver wiki)....

I installed Envy, and used GDebi to install, it found all the files and downloaded the ones it needed. Installed the driver for ATI, and rebooted.....and the only thing thats different is that Im no longer showing the ATI in my Restricted Drivers Manager. WoW still has the same error for 3D rendering, using Wine or Crossover. my fglrxinfo is still showing:

:~$ fglrxinfo
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

Do you think this is correct?

Your help is extremely appreciated, and I thank you again for letting me waste some of your time :) Newegg lied to me....and my Nvidias wont be here until Monday :( Hopefully this will go away then.

If your new Nvidia card is coming on Monday, then I wouldn't worry too much about the Ati card. When the new card arrives, be sure to install the new Nvidia driver with Envy.

I dont understand why........but, I reinstalled Envy last night, and ended up falling asleep before it was done.....finished it this morning and rebooted.....and WoW worked......what could have changed?

I never heard of that before, but as long it works now I guess that's all that matters.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWU5SV2ZKaHBmZUxudnJuRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9