World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WOW & TBC

Hey All,
Ok last night I installed Crossover and then installed WOW & TBC. The instalation went so good I thought I must still be on Windows Vista or Xp but I am not on Windows. I can login and pick my character and then try to login to the realm.

This is where my problems arise. Like Cedega I keep have Wow & TBC crashing on entering the realm. I tried all my characters and had the same problem with all of them :o(

I currently run:

Cpu: AMD 4200+ Dual Core
Memory: 2gig DDR2
Mobo: Msi ????
Drives: HDD160gig, 80gig(Both SATA), 80gig IDE External via USB, DVD-Rom and DVD-RW +RW.
ATI X1800 512mb Graphics Card.

If anyone can help then please let me know.. ta.

Maikiro

A little how-to for this problem (everything in your terminal, everything without quotes and CaSe sensitive):
1.) copy your xorg.conf to a new filename: "cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/wowxorg.conf"
2.) create a new file, your wow startup script: "touch /usr/bin/xstart_wow"
3.) copy this in your new script:```

!/bin/sh

X :3 -ac -terminate -config wowxorg.conf & # Launches a new X session on display 3
sleep 2 # Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds
DISPLAY=:3 exec "/path/to/your/cxoffice/bin/wine" --bottle "WOW" --check --wait-children --start "c:/windows/profiles/All Users/Desktop/World of Warcraft.lnk" # Launches WoW

4.) make the script executable: "chmod a+x /usr/bin/xstart_wow"  
5.) now modify your wowxorg.conf like in this thread: [WOW + CNC3 + ATi Radeon...](http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=2631;forum=1;msg=6100)  
6.) start the game with your startup script

information:  
- this script starts a new x server with a workaround (wowxorg.conf) to get rid of the enter world crash  
- this new x server will shut down if you quit wow  
- you can switch back to your existing x server by pressing [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F7]  
- you can switch to wow by pressing [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F8]  
- for more information look at [WoWWiki](http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine) (my tip: registry fps boost)

Ok I have now solved the problem.
The problem is that ATI has ST drivers for there video cards for Linux. I did a full reinstall with a Nvidia Video Card and it works start away with no problems at all.
I will be selling my ATI card and buying a good Nvidia video card. (sorry ATI, sort out ya S
te video card drivers for linux).

I currently run:

Cpu: AMD 4200+ Dual Core
Memory: 2gig DDR2
Mobo: Asus ????
Drives: HDD160gig, 80gig(Both SATA), 80gig IDE External via USB, DVD-Rom and DVD-RW +RW.
VGA: Nvidia 6600 128mb Graphics Card. (ATI X1800 512mb Graphics Card. - Removed)

Have fun all.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXhybnhWZVk5Tlc5cldhUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9