World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

laggy mouse?

Hi everyone,

I installed Wow BC on my ubuntu box the other night and everything is working great, except the mouse. What I mean by this is, whenever my fps is above 25 the mouse works great, but as soon as my fps drops to around 15 in busy areas my mouse becomes laggy. I know this has something to do with opengl, being that it has no hardware cursor and has to draw the mouse icon all the time. So, is there a way I can try D3D with crossover and see how it works, or is there a way that I can make my mouse not be so laggy when my frames drop in opengl? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Glxgears: 10762 FPS

Cpu: AMD 2700 barton 2.2 ghz with 800 mhz FSB
Ram: 1.5 gigs
Video: 7800 gt APG

Sounds somewhat similar to my issue (although I hadn't noticed this in relation to the FPS)...

Anyhoos, yesterday I started playing WoW again (after 4 monts of inactivity). So, I upated both Crossover an WoW.
I only to find out that for some reason mouse movement is not really repsonsive.
Either an object does not register the mousepointer being there, or an object still thinks the mousepointer is there...
in any case: I need to circle my mousepointer over an object a few times untill it 'registers'.

I'm running Crossover 6.1.0 on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) with GeForce 7800GT, AMD Athlon64 3200+ and 1GB RAM.
Hopefully someone knows how to fix this.

I am also running Crossover 6.1.0 with Ubuntu 7.04

What kinda of FPS do you get in game with wow on your system? I have been debating weather or not to upgrade my system being that it seems like everyone with a dual core CPU gets better FPS in game while using Crossover or cedega. I have 1.5 gigs of ram along with nvidia 7800 GT although its AGP I still don't get any better fps using my 7800 GT compared to my old geforce fx 5600, sadly they both have the same FPS of around 15 to 30. I suppose I can live with that, but this mouse issue is bugging me, it's tough to pvp with a laggy mouse, other then that crossover works perfect for me so far.

For the time being I downgraded my version of Crossover to 6.0.1.
So, I made a backup of the WoW-bottle. Fired up Synaptic, searched Crossover and marked it for removal (NOT a 'complete' removal).
Downloaded version 6.0.1 and installed it. For some reason some gfx-settings of WoW changed to default (like the resolution), but other then that: the bottle was still intact.

And the result? My mouse problem is gone!

Awesome, I will have to give that a try and see if it works for me!!

Yes, opengl mode does not have a hardware mouse, instead the pointer is drawn on the screen by the game. This means that the mouse position is only updated when a new frame is presented. On a low framerate this causes the issues you describe.

The Wine in Crossover 6.1 and the soon-to-be-released 6.2 does not support the hardware mouse pointer in D3D mode either,so using D3D will not help. The next major release after that should have hardware mouse support and fix this problem. We do not know yet if we will switch wow to D3D mode by default.

The missing hw mouse in opengl is a limitation of WoW, it's not a problem of opengl itself.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieWdHSHh0ZWVRdDZDWEVkZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9