World of Warcraft

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Reply to Thread Back to Threads

SLED or SUSE 10.1 & xgl
Todd
Todd
Posted 2007-01-11 12:56
Anyone have any luck with WoW on SUSE (SLED or openSUSE)? I was able to get to fullscreen mode w/login using SLED and no xgl. When I turned xgl (aka desktop effects) on, I kept getting a dialogue box that "World of Warcraft was unable to startup 3d acceleration". I checked if my 3d accell is enabled, and it is. I think this is due to xgl/compiz being enabled.

Perhaps there's a commandline I can add to the run command that will temp disable xgl? I can always disable it via the Control Center, but not sure if there's an easier/temp way. Or is there another trick to getting WoW working w/xgl?

Thanks.

System info:
ATI Mobility Radeon x300
2GB RAM
2G Centrino
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
Jeremy Newman
Jeremy Newman  Staff Member
Posted 2007-01-11 14:17
Last I checked xgl and compiz blocks access to DRI and prevent opengl applications from working correctly. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Anyway, disabling xgl on SuSE looks simple enough according to this page:
http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux

Run this from the command line as root:
gnome-xgl-switch --disable-xgl

Todd
Todd
Posted 2007-01-11 14:21
Thanks Jeremy. That command line is the same as clicking the "Desktop Effects" button to toggle xgl - still will have to restart X and back to login screen. No prob, I'll just switch out of xgl to toy with WoW. I assume this is a permanent issue if xgl/compiz/beryl is running... no plans on any workarounds? Would love to see what it looks like with WoW running  and the cube spinning. :) That's assuming I can even get the game running with my configuration.
Jeremy Newman
Posted 2007-01-12 08:18
No, we don't have any plans currently to rewrite our GL for any of them. Currently, I don't think it is even possible. They all take over GL in such a way that prevents any GL application from running properly.

In my testing with both compiz and beyrl both even prevent non-opengl full screen games from running correctly.
Todd
Todd
Posted 2007-01-12 16:15
Thanks Jeremy. Doesnt' seem to matter anyway as this doesn't work on the ATI drivers that are on SLED - and I'm not going to install the proprietary ATI drivers - they mess up xgl. If there are any ideas out there I'm all ears. I can log into my character, and see the UI, but it gets to a point and freezes. The only part I don't see on the screen is my character. Sounds like the problem you had with the ATI card you tried, Jeremy.
Jeremy Newman
Posted 2007-01-12 18:43
Doh! Yes, I had that exact issue when testing on the Radeon X1300. I do need to test the latest drivers again. I keep hoping ATI will fix this.

Sorry you are stuck on xgl, it is very bleeding edge. I'm as into eye candy as anyone, but I don't run any of the new gl window managers as they break all my Linux games, not just CrossOver. I'll stick to just stock xorg/metacity for now.
Todd
Todd
Posted 2007-01-16 08:06
Please let me know what drivers might work. I can/will sacrifice xgl for this if necessary. :) I just don't want to go installing drivers not knowing which work as it's such a process in Linux (but easier in SLED).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

Please Wait...
eyJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNTQ3NjY2NTQ4fQ==