World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

SLED or SUSE 10.1 & xgl

Anyone have any luck with WoW on SUSE (SLED or openSUSE)? I was able to get to fullscreen mode w/login using SLED and no xgl. When I turned xgl (aka desktop effects) on, I kept getting a dialogue box that "World of Warcraft was unable to startup 3d acceleration". I checked if my 3d accell is enabled, and it is. I think this is due to xgl/compiz being enabled.

Perhaps there's a commandline I can add to the run command that will temp disable xgl? I can always disable it via the Control Center, but not sure if there's an easier/temp way. Or is there another trick to getting WoW working w/xgl?

Thanks.

System info:
ATI Mobility Radeon x300
2GB RAM
2G Centrino
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop

Last I checked xgl and compiz blocks access to DRI and prevent opengl applications from working correctly. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Anyway, disabling xgl on SuSE looks simple enough according to this page:
http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux

Run this from the command line as root:
gnome-xgl-switch --disable-xgl

Thanks Jeremy. That command line is the same as clicking the "Desktop Effects" button to toggle xgl - still will have to restart X and back to login screen. No prob, I'll just switch out of xgl to toy with WoW. I assume this is a permanent issue if xgl/compiz/beryl is running... no plans on any workarounds? Would love to see what it looks like with WoW running and the cube spinning. :) That's assuming I can even get the game running with my configuration.

No, we don't have any plans currently to rewrite our GL for any of them. Currently, I don't think it is even possible. They all take over GL in such a way that prevents any GL application from running properly.

In my testing with both compiz and beyrl both even prevent non-opengl full screen games from running correctly.

Thanks Jeremy. Doesnt' seem to matter anyway as this doesn't work on the ATI drivers that are on SLED - and I'm not going to install the proprietary ATI drivers - they mess up xgl. If there are any ideas out there I'm all ears. I can log into my character, and see the UI, but it gets to a point and freezes. The only part I don't see on the screen is my character. Sounds like the problem you had with the ATI card you tried, Jeremy.

Doh! Yes, I had that exact issue when testing on the Radeon X1300. I do need to test the latest drivers again. I keep hoping ATI will fix this.

Sorry you are stuck on xgl, it is very bleeding edge. I'm as into eye candy as anyone, but I don't run any of the new gl window managers as they break all my Linux games, not just CrossOver. I'll stick to just stock xorg/metacity for now.

Please let me know what drivers might work. I can/will sacrifice xgl for this if necessary. :) I just don't want to go installing drivers not knowing which work as it's such a process in Linux (but easier in SLED).

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZmhTTWhMZkFWTEZ6aFJzRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9