World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

a simple copy

Well, I have "installed" WoW onto friends computers many times by simply copying over the directory, saving massive amounts of CD install and patch time. Is is possible to "manually" tell crossover to point to a certain installation, avoiding all the patching?

I have WoW already on an old windows-HD hooked up and readable, I'd like to just copy the directory to my linux HD and work from there.

Any ideas?

I'm using the trial version, because I'm wanting to see how this compares to Transgaming's Cedega.

You should be able to copy wow anywhere on your Linux system and run wow by just (double) clicking the .exe file. This should run wow in the default bottle of crossover. But CrossOver does some work on your wow installation when you install it, like configuring it to use the opengl renderer, or adjusting sound settings for better sound quality.

Right, add -opengl to the command line, or edit the Config.wtf file in the WoW install dir will be needed. WoW does not run out of the box, our installer does some tweaking to the WoW config for the optimum settings on CrossOver.

Thank you for the reply. From the sound of your post, it's probably better if I just install it off the discs. So I tried that, but it kept throwing an error about a specific file on the first disc that it can't read. (Said it was probably due to a scratched disc.) Turns out my first CD is somewhat scratched (that's what happens when you loan it to a friend). So I guess I'll try downloading the game off the website. Except that when I do that I'm having to use cedega to run the downloader since Blizzard makes us use their stupid program. I tried running the Blizzard Downloader in cx, but it doesn't do anything at all. That might be something for you devs to look at for people in linux wanting to download the demo.

Hope to get this working soon.

well, the download won't work... =(

I did get cxoffice to run it with the -opengl option, that was cool. See, that's what I wanted to see, this program can run it at full graphics like I can in windows. If I try that in cedega, the game crashes. Now I just need to really install it. when I log in with the -opengl option, the sound is still horribly messed up. What can I do to fix this before BC is released?

Try

SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
SET SoundBufferSize "232"

In the config file like Jeremy posted above.

I had a similar issue where I had installed all the patches and also the expansion pack in Windows, and didn't want to go through it again in Linux. What I did was this;

Run the install wizard, select World of Warcraft. Select the installer executable, let it get started. Cancel the install, let crossover do it's thing. Now if you look in your ~/.cxoffice/win2000/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft directory, you'll see a WTF directory. mv WTF WTF~. Mount your windows drive and copy the contents of the World of Warcraft program directory recursively to this directory. Now cat WTF~/Config.wtf >> WTF/Config.wtf, appending the config options to your existing config.

Launch WoW, enjoy a five minute install.

-justin

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWd1SEFIQ3FzcDdTYVg1cSIsImdkcHIiOjB9