World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sound issues with TBC

Since installing TBC ( i also upgraded to personal from the beta ) I now have sound skipping. It's a slight delay in the sound being played ... sometimes a small repeat loop.

This doesn't seem to affect game play too much ( although it is highly annoying and requires I turn off sound )

I have the appropriate wow WTF config settings as specified by Jeremy in an earlier post:

SoundOutputSystem "1"
SoundBufferSize "232"
gxApi "opengl"
ffxDeath "0"

I have installed both wow and TBC in the same bottle ( which is winxp )

The FPS has also lowered, but I think this is due to the new area being crowded a bit.

I'm running debian ( etch ), and am fully updated. [ yes I know it's not stable ]. This worked great prior to TBC ( I assume that the upgrade from rc2 to 6.0 wasn't the cause here ).

Any ideas on the sound?

Same here. I turned off "hardware acceleration" in wow sound options and it killed the stuttering a bit.

I turned off the hardware acceleration for sound, and it did help a bit, but not completely. I noticed they upgraded the fmod.dll in one of the patches ... I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe I'll fire up the debugger and see.

I'm having the same issue, some kind of audio lag. It's driving me insane. Other than that the game is fine. =/

Any progress on a fix for this besides turning off all sound?

Crossover devs - is there an audio setting we need to look for in the config file? My buffer is set to 232 or whatever the tips/tricks says. I wonder if changing that would help.

I still have this, however, I have noticed a few things.

1) Background music appears unaffected UNLESS there is forground sound ( ie triggered ... thing voice, spell sound, clang, that kind of stuff ). I have also fiddled endlessly with the wow sound settings to no avail.

2) This appears to be worse where there is more people around, and the more people, the worse it gets.

3) For the TBC update ( or maybe the small patch just after it ), I noticed the fmod was upgraded ( the files are exactly the same size ... very tricky of them I think ). I haven't lurked around the fmod forums, but having used it before with OGRE ... I know that bad design choices can cause issues like this.

4) When I put the original dll and the new dll through strings to look at the symbols ... I can see that they are built on different machines. There is a lot of differences in the added stuff , but the actual fmod calls seem the same ( meaning it looks like they got fmod source, and compiled more than just default stuff in there ).

If I had to take a guess ... I'd say that blizzard upgraded fmod versions, and maybe fmod changed the way they do multiplexing of the sound streams or something. I seemed to recall some fmod woes I had like this that if you didn't feed it into the buffer fast enough it looped over the last chunk it received ( which sounds like what I'm seeing ). I can't be sure, but it looks like maybe they added a different structure around the core fmod libs ... perhaps slightly less efficient. Something that under windows was not an issue, but under the strain of emulation ( and a different memory structure ) is just enough.

I tried replacing the fmod dll with the original ( with little hope ), sadly this cause a game integrity error, although this was only AFTER I tried to log in ... until then I got the intro music just fine. I'd bet if the cx guys ran this through the debugger before and after, there would see the difference. Perhaps it's the secure template stuff they added for security ... who knows.

If anyone else notices anything ... post your comments.

/sr

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN0doTWF6UzRUdTRUeVJFSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9