World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW and winecfg troubles

Hi all! I'm running Bianca 2.2 (Basically Ubuntu Edgy with a bunch of non-free codecs and drivers pre-installed) and having some trouble getting sound to play in WoW. Everything worked great through the install and even my first run, but upon a reboot none of my windows apps produce any sounds. I opened up the bottle manager and attempted to click the "Audio" tab in winecfg, but the bottle manager crashes without so much as an explanation. Running winecfg from the Terminal does allow me to access the audio tab, and I have the full gamut of options there, however neither the ALSA nor the OSS drivers produce any sound -- even with my USB headset. My sound card is an Audigy 4, if that helps. I've updated Wine, and tried everything that I've encountered on the forums before, but the linchpin issue for me is getting the bottle manager's version of winecfg to open. Any suggestions? Thanks a million! If I can get this issue resolved, I'll buy Crossover on the spot.

Do you get sound in any other apps at all? Just curious to see if it is just CrossOver or your sound system as a whole.

Also, some sound drivers croak because of the Gnome sound deamon (ESD) running in the back ground. You can work around this in Ubuntu by going to:
System > Preferences > Sound

On the Sound tab, uncheck the "Enable Sound Mixing Deamon (ESD)". FYI: Doing that will disable any gnome system sounds.

I submitted a bug concerning the winecfg tab crash.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTDZUR3JBR3NXQUJUMmJidCIsImdkcHIiOjB9