World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW does not start

Hi all,
I just downloaded CrossOver (the trial version) and I'm trying to use it to play WoW. I installed without any major problem (I copied all CD on the hard drive and launched the installation from it), but I can't make WoW start.

If I try to use the icon that CO automatically created on my desktop I get the WoW Launcher, but if i click "Play" nothing happen. I tried to use "Run a Windows Command" to run directly WoW.exe and I see it running on the task bar, but only for few seconds and than disappear (and of course nothing show up on screen); I also tried to run it from a console (with "/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine WoW.exe"), but still nothing happens not even an error message (the reason why I tried to run it from the console).

I tried with the "-opengl" parameter (to WoW.exe), but nothing.

I added the following lines to the "Config.wtf" (all other lines I read on other topics were already present):
SET gxApi "opengl"
SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
SET SoundBufferSize "100"
SET ffxDeath "0"
... still nothing.

By running "glxinfo | more" I get:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4

I don't know if it is useful, but before trying CrossOver I tried with Wine alone (downloaded from winehq.com), but "./configure -verbose" returned those warnings:
configure: WARNING: X development files not found. Wine will be built without
configure: WARNING: X support, which currently does not work, and probably
configure: WARNING: isn't what you want anyway. You will need to install devel
configure: WARNING: packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.

configure: WARNING: Wine will be build without OpenGL or Direct3D support
configure: WARNING: because something is wrong with the OpenGL setup:

But I could not understand which is wrong with the OpenGL setup since I'm using without problems Beryl for 3D desktop and "OpenGL Screensaver" as screensaver.

My hardware is: Intel Core 2 Duo 6700, ECS PN2 SLI2+ Extreme nForce 680i SLI (motherboard), and EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX. As for Linux, I'm using Mandriva 2007 Spring. WoW is at 2.0.0.xxxx (I just installed the base + TBC).

Not to put any pressure on you guys, but since it has been since Sunday that I'm trying to set up the whole computer with very slow progresses (with the relative frustration), tomorrow night will be the last night I will try to accomplish something; if I fail, I'm afraid Friday I will have to fall back on Windows (and watch over and over the TBC cinematic where Illidan states "You are not prepared"). ☹️

Strange. I guess your next step is to run it with debugging enabled and see what that outputs.

~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle wow --debugmsg +relay,+seh "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\wow.exe"

Don't post the log here though, it would be huge. I'm just saying, it may point you to the actual problem.

Jeremy Newman wrote:

Strange. I guess your next step is to run it with debugging enabled
and see what that outputs.

~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle wow --debugmsg +relay,+seh "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\wow.exe"

Don't post the log here though, it would be huge. I'm just saying,
it may point you to the actual problem.

Thank for the fast reply. 😊

The log is long indeed so to avoid spamming here I uploaded to my personal web site:
http://superdif.interfree.it/external/wowerror.txt

Anyway the error (and the 2 lines above if they matter) are:
0009:Call kernel32.CreateProcessW(00000000,0011ab18 L"\"C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\wow.exe\"",00000000,00000000,00000001,00000000,00000000,00000000,0033fcd0,0033fd20) ret=7ece94ee
0009:Ret kernel32.CreateProcessW() retval=00000000 ret=7ece94ee
winewrapper.exe:error: cannot execute L"\"C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\wow.exe\""

While I have a little bit of knowledge of programming, it is to limited to understand the above debug code. :-/

Thank again. 😊

Ok, that says that Wine could not find the wow.exe. What bottle did you install WoW into? By default if you have not other bottles I think it goes into a bottle called "win2000". I just set "--bottle wow" as I always name my WoW bottle that. Please retry the command with your correct bottle name. If you are unsure, launch CrossOver Configuration and that will list your bottles for you in the GUI.

Also, I assumed your wow.exe is instaleld in that path I put above. "c:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\", it should not be case sensitive.

If everything is correct, bottle name, and path. And the log still reports "winewrapper.exe:error: cannot execute" you might want to check to see if the wow.exe is actually there or not.

Normally, your C: drive is kept in (Linux only): ~/.cxoffice/<bottlename>/drive_c/
Change <bottlename> to your bottlename.

My mistake. I got the bottle right (in my case WinXP), but I misspelled the path to WoW (I installed in c:\Games... instead of the default C:\Program Files...).

I typed the command right this time and I get the following error:
http://superdif.interfree.it/external/wowerror2.txt
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"OPENGL32.dll": libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe") failed (error c000007a).

It is complaining about a libGLU missing.

At the time I writing this post I'm installing it thru the "Software Manager". In few minutes I'll let you know the results.

No luck. 😭

I installed all the packages that contains GLU, including (but not limited to - indicated because they seem the most appropriate):
lib64mesaglu1-6.5.2-7mdv2007.1.x86_64
lib64mesaglu1-devel-6.5.2-7mdv2007.1.x86_64

but when I try to run the debug command, I get the same error. :(

Is there a library in specific I should search for?

You installed only the 64 bit opengl libs, you need the 32 bit compatibly libs too because WoW is a Win32 app and Crossover can't run win64 apps yet.

Good catch Stefan. I didn't even notice he was running Mandriva 64bit. I'm surprised that these libs are not in place by default.

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

You installed only the 64 bit opengl libs, you need the 32 bit
compatibly libs too because WoW is a Win32 app and Crossover can't
run win64 apps yet.

Thanks!!! I'm making progress. 😏

I installed the 32 bits versions of the libs and finally WoW loaded up, but ....

The first 2 tries I get the screen totally black, but I noticed that the mouse cursor at some point of the screen turn like there is text box to write to (maybe the username/password?!?!). I tried to reduce the resolution on the Config.wtf (I recycled the one I backed up from Windows), but now I get the following error message:
"Your 3D accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft. Please install a 3D accelerator card with dual-TMU support.". 😭

Any idea?!?!

Thank again both for the help you gave me so far. 😉

Try disabling Beryl if you have not already. Try upgrading the the latest nVidea drivers. I noticed you have an 8800 GTX 😎 Since that card is so new, I'm not sure how good the included drivers in Mandriva are. Ain't it fun to be so bleeding edge? I understand how frustrating it can be.

I forgot to mention that I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers for Linux 64 and the settings on "NVIDIA X Server settings" (a configuration tool that Nvidia drivers installed on my menu) are ok.

I noticed that inside the menu (I'm refering the one that would be "Start" on Windows) under KDE configuration tools there is a "OpenGL" tool. This tool only show information about the OpenGL setup (no configuration choices available). This tool actually show that the "3D Accellerator" value is set to "unknown" (but the strange thing is that all other values are correctly set to Nvidia values)

Jeremy Newman wrote:

Try disabling Beryl if you have not already. Try upgrading the the
latest nVidea drivers. I noticed you have an 8800 GTX 😎 Since
that card is so new, I'm not sure how good the included drivers in
Mandriva are. Ain't it fun to be so bleeding edge? I understand how
frustrating it can be.

According to the Nvidia web site the drivers I'm using (the latest) should support the 8800 (and HardDrake report the 8800GTX correctly), but I am sure they still have a lot of work to do to get optimized drivers (as usual for bleeding edge stuff 😎 ).

I will try to disable Beryl (it was nice for a couple of days, but is not necessary).

Updates in few minutes (and again thanks for the helping 😉 ).

Marco Di Fresco wrote:

I will try to disable Beryl (it was nice for a couple of days, but
is not necessary).

No luck.

But that "3D Accelerator" set to unknown on the OpenGL report tool may lead to the solution.

I have got nothing left to suggest. Somewhere in your setup there is something wrong. It could possibly be some library incompatibility between the 32bit and 64bit libs they provide. I'd scour the Mandriva forums a bit and see if anyone else there had similar issues with 32bit opengl applications. I come to this conclusion as you report your gl screensavers and beryl work. Since those are native 64 bit they would not show the same issue as a 32bit application would.

It might be worth downloading some other Linux 32bit game demo as a test. The DOOM 3 demo is pretty easy to find.

I want to thanks again you both for your help. Unfortunately I gave up. 😭

The night of my last post I screw up something (never understood what - I merely attempted to re-enable Beryl) and I were not able to start KDE again (when it tried to load up it gets a total blank screen); the day after I tried to search for some solution (and tried some), but without solution (except reinstalling every thing from scratch). Since I have been working about a week on trying to set up Linux, I decided to walk back to Windows. 😒

I have to admit that compared to my last attempt (it is not my first failed attempt of migration) few year ago, Linux has made a lot of progresses in user-friendliness, but it has work still to do (even if I have to admit that try to migrate to a new OS and to 64 bits at the same time maybe was to much to pretend).

Thank anyway to try to help me. 😉

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Though are are trying to run what is widely known to be an unstable setup. Beryl and compiz both are not quite complete. CrossOver has issues with both (mostly for full screen game support).

Before you totally give up on Linux, I would recommend you give Ubuntu a try (or if you prefer Kubuntu as that uses KDE). I prefer Gnome myself as I like the more Mac like Gnome interface vs the more Windows like KDE setup.

Jeremy Newman wrote:

Before you totally give up on Linux, I would recommend you give
Ubuntu a try (or if you prefer Kubuntu as that uses KDE). I prefer
Gnome myself as I like the more Mac like Gnome interface vs the more
Windows like KDE setup.

I'll give it a try on my next attempt. Is Ubuntu more stable and user-friendly than Mandriva? I choose Mandriva becuase I heared (at least few years ago) that it was the easier for the beginners.

I have not used Mandriva (used to be Mandrake Linux back when I used it) in years. So I can't really compare. But, I know that in Ubuntu you can get the entire OS setup and 3D configured with no mucking about in config file editing hell. The latest version (7.04) is by far the easiest to setup and configure yet.

Once installed go into the System > Administation menu, and launch the "Restricted Drivers Manager", this will get your video card configured for 3D.

I was having the 3d accelerator error (running with ATI). I read that ATI has problems with openGL, so I removed -openGL from the launching script, and also removed " SET gxApi "opengl" " from the world of warcraft/WTF/conf file. This seems to have worked.

WoW loaded, it's updating now. I don't know how it will run, but it seems like it will run. I will post performance when I've given it a short trial.

.Sean

1 to 19 of 19

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZE40WnkyeFQ3Z3NieWNwWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9