World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

opengl vs dx mode performance

I see that in the Tips section people recommend to use opengl however, after testing with -opengl switch and without it I can safely say that I get better graphics and performance by leaving out the option to run in OpenGL mode.

I have double checked that my config.wtf file does not contain an reff to opengl. Any thoughts on this?

Systems specs:

CPU: Intel E7400 OC @ 3.36Ghz| MB: GA-EP31-DS3L | RAM: 4GB DDR2 Kingston HyperX | HDDs 1x640 GB + 1x250GB + 1x80GB |
Video: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 core 216 | PSU Cooler Master GX 750W

Using latest beta driver from nvidia - 270.29

I also have good performance in DirectX mode. Not sure if I'd say better than OpenGL, but still definitely good.

My system:

AMD Phenom II Black Edition 3.0 GHz quad-core processor.
4GB RAM.
NVIDIA GTS 250 with 1 GB VRAM.
1 TB SATA Hard Drive.
Nvidia Driver 260.19.29 for Gentoo Linux 64-bit.

My problem with d3d9 was the impossibility to got multisampling x4 I just had 1x.

with opengl i got the possibility to set that on 4x, and now the graphismes are better.

if someone can tell how to be in multisampling whith d3d9 i will appreciate, with opengl i have no permission to set all the video in excellent quality.

Intel coreI7, nvidia 580 gfx, 6 go ram linux ubuntu 10.10.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV0xCNTNQeUpOa3I5V3ZkaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9