World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sound Issues

WoW Plays great for me except for a minor issue. When starting the game with the play button I have sound. Once I am at the log in screen I sometimes have sound and sometimes I don't. Normally I can go into options and Sound and set it to "system" OR "system default" and it will be fixed. After doing this a few times only a reboot will fixed it. I am running:

System Info Distro: Ubuntu 11.10 CPU: Quad Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 2500.458 MHz @ 19.53 Ghz Memory: 4622/5981M [||||||||||] Storage: 1835.05G Free: 1131.43G Uptime: 1 day 15 hrs 23 mins 21 secs Load Average: 0.00 0.01 0.05 Processes: 156 Graphic: nVidia Corporation G71GL [Quadro FX 3500] (rev a1) Screen: 1680x1050 (32 bpp) Network: eth0: In: 2.25G Out: 215.6

The soundcard is the onboard nvidia HDA soundcard product: MCP51 High Definition Audio [10DE:26C]
vendor: nVidia Corporation [10DE]

Not sure if there is a real fix. I really don't prefer to disable Pulse Audio. I am going to update to 12.04 when it is released next week. Maybe it will self repair. I will keep posted.

Any word on this? I'm having a problem with games not using the default sound device for the system. In some games I can change it to the device I want to use, but with games like StarCraft II, I cannot. I can change it in the settings for each bottle, but it makes it harder when I want to use a different sound device.

Hi,

I've asked the support team. Here what they have answered :

try creating a ~/.asoundrc file and put in it

pcm.!default {
type pulse
fallback "sysdefault"
hint {
show on
description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"
}
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
fallback "sysdefault"
}

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc has more details on settings that can be put in .asoundrc

Thanks

At first i was having an issue where is a program already seized the soundcard then when i started wow there would be no sound. After i installed some plugins that issue went away. i still have the same issue you are talking about and its annoying.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNDVySE1aUFNQcDVtd0NFdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9