World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Thread: I have WoW installed on another drive - Any way to use pre existing install via Crossover?

Switching from Windows to Ubuntu I installed Crossover and started the install from scratch and it's taking forever (slow download speeds). Is there a way to tell Crossover to reinstall or to install and configure using the pre existing install that is on another drive so that I don't have to redownload all over again?

The easiest way would probably be to copy the "World of Warcraft" folder in your Windows Program Files folder to your Crossover bottle's Program Files folder. Then when you run the Crossover installer, tell it to "install" from the "WoW.exe" file in the folder that you just copied and then continue (this is mainly to help crossover set up the icons and stuff for you) and you should be good to go. WoW should show up in the Unity interface under the appropriate category.

On a side note, the above kinda uses alot of extra space on your hard drive, since it leaves you with two WoW installations. If you prefer to have both Windows and Linux share a single installation, that can certainly be done, too. The best way to do this that I know of is to use a symbolic link, which will basically point to the existing WoW files instead of copying them over (using much less space). I don't know how your computer is set up, so I'm afraid I can't give a specific example on how to do it, but the general way would be ln -s /path/to/Windows/drive/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft /home/(username)/.cxoffice/(WoW_bottle)/drive_c/Program\ Files/ in a Linux terminal. Please substitute your username and the name of the WoW bottle in for the items in parenthesis (and the real path to your Windows files, of course . 😉 ). Then, as above, run the Crossover installer and point it to WoW.exe to set up the icons and you should be good to go.

Hibba

What Hibba has said basically, but I do want to point out that copying installations are rather unreliable. Sometimes an installation that works fine, when copied, will all of a sudden just stop working for no apparent reason. Other times the complete opposite happens. Something that is not working will start to work when copied from a windows drive.

It's a bit weird and random. I would highly recommend using the symbolic link method hibba described above or just reinstalling.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN3ZuSlliZE5HS3haczc5VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9