World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW install just freezes up.

Ok I mainly think its a ram issue, I thought this old Toshiba was running 2gb ram but its actually running only 1gb. I think that with installing wow in crossover and running my OS it overloads the RAM and causes it to go into a shutdown. Basically wondering if anyone knows whether or not 4gb of RAM will be enough to run WoW and allow the OS to run fine? I don't want to buy upgrades that probably will not work but definitely want to get away from Windows and anything to do with them.

RAM-wise, 4GB should work. My desktop has only 4GB and runs the game decently.

That being said, though, are you sure it's a RAM problem? I'd hate to give you advice and then it turned out wrong.

Hibba

Ram issue is the only thing I can think of. I have tried everything that I have seen in forums or anything about running it through crossover. I have a new hard drive, video card up to date, only have the issues with WoW so i'm thinking its probably a RAM issue. Don't know what else it could be.

You say "wow install freezes up" which tells us nothing actually.Does your computer freeze? You mention something about it shutting down. Does the game freeze but the system is otherwise fine (unlikely from what you describe)? When does your computer freeze? During install or when actually playing the game? Does it freeze immediately after launching the game or after minutes/hours of actual gameplay?

The machine going out of memory would/should actually translate into a lot of disk activity as the OS tries to make space in RAM by swapping things out to the swap file. If it's indeed a powerdown/halt of the machine the I would suspect a hardware fault. Clogged up cooling system which causes it to overheat and shutdown as it tries to protect itself from heat damage or maybe something else.

Ok in Crosstie where you select the programs to install through Crossover everything intalls fine up to the game. The WoW launcher opens and installs to 100% but in the Crosstie installer the blue bar keeps showing its installing, Let it run about 16 hours and nothing changed or advanced in the completion. At this point the task manager shows cpu usage at 100% everything looks like its still running but the drive makes noise like its trying to start but nothing happens. From there usually the screens blacks out if I try to do anything like move the mouse or anything. WoW is the only program that does anything like this to the system.

The Crossover installer might appear to hang indefinitely as long as the WoW Launcher window is open during the initial install. After the WoW Launcher reaches 100%, you'll probably want to close it and the Crossover installer should take notice of this and finish up its tasks. From there, WoW should launch from it's appropriate icon either in your applications menu or on your desktop (depending on your desktop environment).

I don't really know what causes the computer's screen to go black, though. Does it ever come back after that with anything? And/or does any sound run while it's blackened?

Hibba.

It does make sound when its blackened. I also did close the WoW installer at 100% and the crosstie installer never made any further movements. CPU showed 100% as well.

Hmm, it could be that Crossover has a bug where it's not noticing the WoW Launcher window closing.

Do you have an icon on your desktop and/or in your Application menus to launch WoW? If so, can it launch the WoW client from there?

Hibba

Nope it doesn't have a launch icon. Sorry to be such a bother but i'm trying to get this where I know WoW will run before I pay for a $60 program. I did run a presentation software called Zionworx that runs on windows and it ran pretty good through crossover and wine last night. No crash or cpu overload.

Thanks for the help both of you.

You're not a bother! 😊

If you open Crossover, then in the menu bar go to Tools>Manage Bottles, this should bring up a window that shows your current bottles. If you select your bottle in the left pane of the window, there should be a button in the right pane that says "Run Command..."

In the dialog box this brings up, you can use the Browse... button to navigate to the "World of Warcraft Launcher.exe" file (it should be in Program Files\World of Warcraft). Double click on it to select it, and then hit the Run button in the lower right corner of the dialog box. This should hopefully get the game to start up for now and let you test it.

I'm going to look into how to recreate launcher icons in Crossover, too, so we don't have to use the Run utility every time. 😉 I'll probably try to append it to this post in an edit later.

EDIT: Ah, found it. In the Manage Bottles window from above, select your bottle, then go to the Control Panel tab and select "Edit Menus." This should hopefully give you the options to make shortcuts in your desktop and/or your Applications menu. You can actually just use this instead of the Run utility above if you'd prefer.

Hibba

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWW0zd1VjejQ2YnZyS2RnNyIsImdkcHIiOjB9