World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows installation > Linux installation

Hello everyone.

Since World of Warcraft does not require an installation, just copying the older wow directory to a new place/pc should work already. I wonder how can I just copy my windows wow files to a directory where cxgames is able to run it properly, if that is even possible.

Or even make a symbolic link to my windows wow directory instead of having 2 copies of wow on my pc.

Thanks in advance!

Just about to try installing WoW on my Ubuntu machine,

can anyone confirm if this works by simply copying the folder over ?

thanks,

rob.

Ok, Paul in this thread says he did it successfully, even got curse addon updater app working under crossover pro....

here

but he doesn't give many details of where to copy etc...

anyone know this, or is this something really simple i should be aware of ? sorry if it is.

thanks,

Rob.

rob.rrav wrote:

Just about to try installing WoW on my Ubuntu machine,

can anyone confirm if this works by simply copying the folder over ?

thanks,

rob.

Yes, you can take a windows installation and copy it to Linux. It will work.

Copying WoW installation from windows does work. You only need to create a folder in Ubuntu/other linux, and copy all wow files there.

After that, make sure that the file permissions on that folder are correct, ( CrossOver has permissions to read/write there) and that you have set your VGA drivers correctly (you have 3D support on). Linux distributions don't usually haveati/nvidia/amd drivers (3D that is) included by default.

As for the original poster, Creating symbolic links to a windows installation (eiter only on the directory, or a full "ghost installation" with symlinks) is something I have not tried myself, but with the knowledge that I have on Linux/CrossOver, I'd say that as long as the windows installation is on VFAT - partition you're good to go. on NTFS you might get it to work too, but you need to install 3rd party driver for RW support on NTFS (NTFS-3G for example), but since it's still gonna be a bit unstable I'd personally stay the hell outa that road....

thanks guys,

appreciate the quick response 😊

Rob.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZFhLSFZycVZkbUdyc3V2ayIsImdkcHIiOjB9