World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How can i install world of warcraft on my pc

Hi im new to codeweavers i want to ask if somebody have a howto for me howto install wow, wow burning crusade, wow the lich king and wow cataclysm. I tried to use the cp but it doesnt work for me and if i run from the download from blizzard it keeps hanging on 83 % abd if i try to use the cd or dvd i can't see the .exe i only can see the mac part on the cd. Or is it possible to copy the wow folder from windows and put it in a bottle pls somebody explain it to me.

Greetz

I ran the c4p file just fine on my wow and bc cds. I copied them to my hard drive to make it easier. I then used the downloader to get my digital copies of wotlk and cata installed. on my other computer i just ran the digital downloader to get the whole thing.

Now granted I did this in linux. But if you are on a mac, just use the mac downloader and installer for the mac, they do a native version. That would be the best option overall, as wine doesn't support all that blizzard does have to offer (almost all, but not all).

I had problems as well, and kept getting messages that I had mounted the Mac portion of the CD. So I followed the first few steps from the WineHQ instructions. Namely un-hiding the files on the DVD, and moving the files to a directory on my harddrive.

Quote from WineHQ:
( http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20549 )

Below are the instructions for installing from WoW Disks :-

To install from the CDs the files need to be copied over to your computer as attempting to install directly from disk will result in failure.

Create a folder in a convenient location such as on the desktop called wow_install

You will only need to install WoW using the Wrath of the Litch King disks. (The Wrath disks will install the WoW core game and the Burning Crusde as well).

Insert Disk 1 of the Wrath of the Litch King.

When you open the disk you will not be able to see all the files as they are hidden. To get them to show run the following code in Terminal :-

sudo mount -o remount,unhide /dev/sr0

If that code doesn't work try this one :-

sudo umount /dev/cdrom
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0/

Then open the disk again and you should see all the files.

Open the disk and copy all the files to your wow_install folder.

Now insert Disk 2 of the Wrath of the Litch King and follow the same step above to unhide the files.

Copy only the Installer Tome #.mpq files to the wow_install folder. (# will be a number. Basically from Disk 2 copy only the Installer Tomes that have a number in their name (NOT the one without a number, we got that one from Disk 1)).

Once complete eject the disk and run the Installer.exe in the wow_install folder with wine. (Simply right click it and select "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader").

WoW will now install.

Also, I had to direct Crossover to "Installer.exe", not just the directory the file was in.

I hope that helps some!

-zami

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSExISE1zeFdOV0hyTkMyWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9