World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW Crashing

Now, from what I see, and what I read, it sure as heck looks like I gots a good ole fashioned memory leak.

The game barfs, and will continue to do that until I reboot. And it makes other games die weird too. I thought other things were at play when all of a sudden STO died. STO never dies on me. Never. Repeat -- NEVER. Then it did. I figured out that the one time there that it did die, was AFTER I got done on WOW. Since I rarely reboot, I kept track of a few things (not the error message exactly). And the game will work for a long while on me (shall we say more than 3 hours straight), then barf, and continue to barf almost hourly. It seems that anything that makes the computer move garbage in/out of RAM does the trick. Hearthing, entering a new area, talking to a vendor (not quest dolers).

Now the main question : Is this a known issue?
Secondary Question : If above is an affirmative, is CXG 10.0 going to address this?
Tertiary Question : We still have a question about what type of bottle to use -- shall we be using 2K? Or XP? Or another one (Vista/7?)

Post install data:
Finally added some add-ons the other day. So for two weeks of playing, I haven't used any non-blizz add-ons. So its not dying out due to them
I hard coded in to use OpenGL
I will run either windowed or full-screen. It barfs in both modes
I used the online down-loader (I do the digital purchases :P ) to install and then update.
I have run the repair tool. I do this after each session that had any barfs. This tends to be run every night prior to leaving for work :D
I did play around in a cloned bottle with some settings, but gave up on that due to no discernible differences, and then finding some peeps stating memory leaks in how wine handles wow, and it made sense from what I witnessed.

Thanks much!
Andrew.

Ever since Cataclysm was released I see WoW crash as well. The error is always "failure to allocate memory ...". This issue is readily apparent and occurs quickly if I hang around in Orgrimmar. After a couple minutes it crashes. When not in a "crazy busy city" and out in the world questing, running instances, BGs, etc, the error will eventually occur but after a long period of time (hours). And when it does occur it's when zoning between areas.

If verified the same problem exists in both Crossover 9.2.1 and Wine 1.3.10.

Have the some problem. Crashes every x hours ☹️

WoW-Logs:
http://files.pannek.de/wow.txt
http://files.pannek.de/wow2.txt

I could debug it via wine, but it crashes after some hours....

I feel better that I am not the only one :D

I haven't played much games lately, and most of it has been STO, but when I get a chance I will see if the 10.0 RC helps, or any of the latest patches that Blizz put out in the last 3 weeks.

Plus I should peruse the intarwebs and see if its a CXG issue, or rather a Wine one in general.

Okay, its apparently not everyone (or at least not everyone is making a stink -- STOP BEING QUIET :P ) but its a wine issue. On the appdb, its listed as platinum now, rather than the gold or silver that I recall back when I used to play Lich King XP. I think that this type of thing may be part of that downgrade.

And I found a whole boatload of goodies in the forum for getting GFX related issues resolved.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20549

The bug that matches what we are running into most closely:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20673

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure platinum is one above gold, so actually an upgrade not a downgrade. Also this type of crash isn't limited to wine/cxg, the exact same crashes can be observed in windows.

Basically it's a problem with WoW itself not wine.

I had just gotten back into wow about a week ago everything seems fine until last night, now as soon as i hit play on the launcher it dies, no error messages that i've seen
I haven't a clue, i tried reinstalling it and everything nothing seems to make a difference

Just a question out of curiosity: The Linux distribution used, is it of the 32 bit or of the 64 bit variety?

I've seen the same error on the first of two machines, one with a 64bit Ubuntu and 8GB ram and the other one with a 32 bit Ubuntu and 2GB ram. Obviously I'm wondering whether the 64 bit killed the cat.

Just created a new Bottle with Crossover 4.0 and a fresh World of Warcraft installation. But it still crashes from time to time.

Still not sure why :(

Distribution: Gentoo 64 Bit with 2.6.37 Kernel and NVIDIA 270.18 drivers.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid Crossover 4.0 has become outdated. Please use a later version (latest is CXGames 10.0, or 10.0.1 for Mac).

Hibba.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the 4.0 was a typo, and didn't literally mean Crossover 4.0. I'll hazard a guess and say that WoW 4.0 in Crossover 10.0 was what was really meant... there's no way that WoW would even launch in CX4 let alone run long enough o crash with a memory error.

I'm also seeing constant crashing with memory errors as already discussed in this forum thread. No ideas or solutions yet.

Sorry, it was, of course, a typo =) I'm using the latest version of Crossover Games (10.0.0)

I crash about once a day and it seems it is always while flying (different areas).

It is always a 'Not Enough Memory' error. I will keep track of the specific error each time, but the one that just happened in Borean Tundra was:

Not Enough Memory
MapObjread.cpp
Line 430

Required 398180 bytes of memory.

Update:

Just crashed again this evening after several hours of play. Also just flying this time in Howling Fjord.

The error was again not enough memory. This time on object:Cfacet.
Requested 12236328 bytes of memory.

Anything I should be logging to help out?

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVjRyVkZQWDh4a2tZQXRyUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9