World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

WoW performance with OpenGL vs D3D

In my config.wtf file I have set the gxApi to "OpenGL" and WoW sees I've made the change. It lists the renderer as Custom in the program's settings so I'm sure it is configured properly. My problem is OpenGL runs slow compared to running WoW in D3D9 mode.

Same spot in game I'll get 50FPS with D3D9 and about 30FPS with OpenGL. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can change to speed up OpenGL as it seems OpenGL should be faster than using the D3D9 renderer. I've really never noticed this 'problem' before as I've always used the OpenGL setting until this last reinstall of the game.

Has anything changed in crossover which would make the D3D9 renderer pull ahead of the OpenGL one in terms of speed? Or is native OpenGL in windows games just really borked?

On a side note, I notice the same behavior in Lord of the Rings Online when using it's OpenGL graphics core. D3D achieves a higher framerate.

Currently I'm using Crossover 12.5.

The WoW GL renderer appears to receive little maintainance, at least in the Windows version of the game. As far as I know it lacks some features, and its performance is pretty crappy on Windows. The last time I tested it, it was faster than the d3d renderer in CrossOver though. Maybe some changes to the game or improvements in our d3d implementation changed that though.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM1lXVHB3Sk50RkpQY1V0NyIsImdkcHIiOjB9