World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The World of Warcraft performance thread

Sup guys,

I am creating this thread as a guideline for customers interested in how WoW runs via Crossover 13.1.3-1 on several setups. I noticed that a lot of ppl rank an app with a low medal, just because the app doesn't run good on their system. Sometimes it isn't even an issue with Crossover, but something else. PC gaming = tweaking and considering a great amount of factors, such as drivers and the hard- and software combination in general. A simple background process can be the cause for the low performance you are experiencing. I will be creating the same thread on every game I can test.

Want to help out?

This is a guideline of the kind of information I'd like to see:

1. What OS and what desktop environment are you running?
  2. Which GPU drivers are you using?
  3. What hardware are you using?
  4. How are the temps inside of your PC?
  5. Are you using overclocked hardware?
  6. Have you checked cxdiag, missing any libs?
  7. Have you tweaked the default installation of WoW via Crossover in any way?
  8. Are you using the performance enhanced graphics, which are activated by default?
  9. Are you playing in OpenGL or DirectX mode?
  10. Were there any issues during the installation of WoW via Crossover?
  11. Which version of Crossover are you using?

Feel free to post even more information!

Please consider the following:

If possible...

• launch wow after restarting your machine once and close all unnecessary processes
  • if using the nvidia/amd proprietary drivers; pls set them to full power/performance instead of quality mode
  • test the game in native OpenGL and in DirectX mode
  • make sure "performance enhanced graphices" is enabled in Crossover for your WoW bottle, you can also post comparison screenshots with and without the enhancements
  • in order to maximize performance; before you make and post a screenshot, please turn VSync and Anti-Aliasing OFF in the game in in your proprietary driver
  • make the screenshots in fullscreen, use windowed mode just in case WoW gives you issues in fullscreen
  • make screenshots at low, medium, good, high and ultra settings
  • pls activate the fps-counter via strg + r before making the screenshot
  • make sure you download the entire game before checking/comparing performance

Screenshots

If possible, please post screenshots in the same spot, in following order:

• LOW details, resolution, framerate

• MEDIUM details, resolution, framerate

• GOOD details, resolution, framerate

• HIGH details, resolution, framerate

• ULTRA details, resolution, framerate

PS: Something missing? Let me know and I'll update this post.

Q & A

Q: What OS and what desktop environment are you running?
A: Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, Gnome Flashback. System is up to date.

Q: Which GPU drivers are you using?
A: The default Open Source (!) GPU drivers provided by Ubuntu.

Q: What hardware are you using?
A: see below

• AMD Phenom II X4 945
  • AMD HD 7850 1GB GDDR5
  • MSI 760GM-P23 (FX)
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM, Corsair Value Select
  • 2,5" Seagate 7200RPM HDD
  • 350 Watts Enermax power supply
  • HP 2011x LCD

Q: How are the temps inside of your PC?
A: coming soon.

Q: Are you using overclocked hardware?
A: No.

Q: Have you checked cxdiag, missing any libs?
A: Yes, I have checked cxdiag, no WoW specific dependencies or libs missing.

Q: Have you tweaked the default installation of WoW via Crossover in any way?
A: Nope.

Q: Are you using the performance enhanced graphics, which are activated by default?
A: Yes, I am using performance enhanced graphics.

Q: Are you playing in OpenGL or DirectX mode?
A: I am using the default DirectX mode, but I will test with OpenGL later.

Q: Were there any issues during the installation of WoW via Crossover?
A: Nope, the game installed and launched just fine afterwards.

Q: Which version of Crossover are you running?
A: 13.1.3-1

SCREENSHOTS

Teldrassil

• LOW details, resolution 1600x900, 90+ fps
  • MEDIUM details, resolution 1600x900, 80+ fps
  • GOOD details, resolution 1600x900, 50+ fps
  • HIGH details, resolution 1600x900, 40+ fps
  • ULTRA details, resolution 1600x900, 40+ fps

Stormwind

• LOW details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • MEDIUM details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • GOOD details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • HIGH details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • ULTRA details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps

Orgrimmar

• LOW details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • MEDIUM details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • GOOD details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • HIGH details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps
  • ULTRA details, resolution 1600x900, x+ fps

Starting area: Teldrassil

From LOW to ULTRA:

image image image image image

Big city: Stormwind

wip

Big city: Orgrimmar

wip

Additional info: I had to use windowed mode, because WoW crashes when trying to make a screenshot via print/scr. Performance is a bit higher in fullscreen. I also had to disable shadows, because they got glitchy at higher details.

If you're going to do this you'll want to collect responses on raiding performance. Personally the performance for me is as good as in windows ~50 - 60 fps everywhere (I set a max fps at 60). The problem occurs during raids when everyone is casting spells where it becomes unplayable perhaps around 5 fps (whereas in windows it will still remain around 30-40 fps), when folks are standing around pre boss pull the frame rates are fine also.

Collecting screenshots and fps number of players standing perfectly still in some deserted starter zone isn't all that helpful.

Hi smelly,

sure, no problem. I didn't think it was going to make that much of a difference.

What raids are giving you issues? I might be able to try them. I haven't had any big fps drops yet though. Even in major cities the fps is still very much playable. I'll post some more screenshots in a few hours.

Cheers

Yeah I find major cities are fine even on 2x AA and everything else on Ultra. All raids are pretty choppy, you can try jumping in an LFR for Siege of Orgrimmar. Lowering settings do help but only slightly, even when setting everything to low it's still very laggy whereas Windows is able to maintain the fps. Lowering settings compound another issue in that most raids have boss mechanics which require you to either avoid certain things or stand in certain textures on the ground. I'm pretty sure the game is unplayble on heroic modes without Projected Textures.

smellydelli wrote:

Yeah I find major cities are fine even on 2x AA and everything else
on Ultra. All raids are pretty choppy, you can try jumping in an LFR
for Siege of Orgrimmar. Lowering settings do help but only slightly,
even when setting everything to low it's still very laggy whereas
Windows is able to maintain the fps. Lowering settings compound
another issue in that most raids have boss mechanics which require
you to either avoid certain things or stand in certain textures on
the ground. I'm pretty sure the game is unplayble on heroic modes
without Projected Textures.

Yeah, that pretty much sums things up. For 25man raiding the game becomes unplayable, often with framerates in the 2-5 range. For outdoor bosses like Sha, Galleon, Oondasta and Nalak it becomes completely useless, with framerates like 1FPS or even worse.

10man raiding is OK, not as good FPS as Windows, but playable.

5man instances, cities, questing etc etc is fine, pretty much like Windows.

Cheers, Robert.

Sup guys,

sorry I haven't been able to reply earlier. RL and testing other stuff sucked away my soul.

The FPS dip you guys are reporting is a bit strange. Let's see...

What would be interesting to know is:

a) Which GPU drivers are you guys using (proprietary, open, driver version)?
b) Which OS are you guys running on?
c) Some more system details in general (hard- and software) would also be nice.
d) Have you tried disabling "performance enhanced graphics" in Crossover? Does that improve the situation?
e) WoW now has a "raid" setting in the graphics tab. Using that, does that improve the situation?
f) Anyone tested this on vanilla Wine?
g) Are you guys running WoW in D3D or OpenGL mode? Does the situation improve by switching modes whatsoever?

The last part (g) is the one that I find very interesting. Using D3D + performance enhanced graphics, I am able to achieve extremly high FPS using both the open and closed drivers for my GPU. But D3D sometimes dips well below 30fps sometimes when a lot of stuff is going on or in crowded cities. Using OpenGL the framerate is a lot lower than in D3D (D3D being 2-3x faster with performance enhanced graphics on), but much more stable.

Cheers,
Alex

I wanted to respond in detail in this thread, but see my other thread about 64bit support needed, I cannot realistically run WoW now using CrossOver.

So I never got around to test this at all using CrossOver 14, just standard Wine.

If you want to see the FPS issues yourself, just join a LFR raid with 30 people in it and watch the FPS during heavy boss-fights.

My details:
a) Proprietary Nvidia 343.22
b) Ubunty 14.10
c) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2GB
d) Haven't tested this using CrossOver
e) Lowering the graphics settings all the way down helps somewhat, but still pretty unplayable, and looks like shit then ofc.
f) Only using vanilla Wine, currently 1.7.30
g) D3D, it's even worse in OpenGL mode

Cheers, Robert.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVWRWenJDdVhCZ3Fta1BkSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9