World of Warcraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game lagging, when all CPU threads drop to low usage

NVIDIA Driver: nvidia-346 binary driver - version 346.82
Crossover 14.1.6

WoW had been working fine, but after a system update, it is getting very laggy. I have had the system monitor up, and noticed that the CPU usage drops off when the game lags. Prior to the updates, there tended to be 1 CPU at 100% all the time, but the other were low. Now they are all moderate usage, but all drop off at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Do you recall what was updated?

The full list of things in Linux Mint system update. It was a very long list.

I can confirm that this is affecting other Crossover games as well, so it isn't just WoW.

Do you know what kernel version you're running?

I'm sorry but "a big list of changes" is not something anybody can use to pinpoint a problem. Does not help that Linux Mint plays a weird game with system updates. They hold some back while they let others pass. One of the reasons I don't use Linux Mint.

Kernal: 3.13.0-37-generic

I used to use Ubuntu, but it broke everything on a regular basis. This is the first time I have had a problem with Mint, and even now it less broken than Ubuntu regularly did. I do know that I got a new Nvidia driver in the update. Using their driver manager, I went from 340.76, to 346.82. I have rolled back the driver, but the issue persisted.

What does /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag output?

[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="NVIDIA Corporation"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.82"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2"

Do the native Linux games work well?

I haven't checked them all, but they all seem fine. I gave supertuxKart a spin and smooth as silk, pushing it as hard as I can.

Do you recall if Cinnamon was updated? But then, why would it affect only games which run on Wine...

Do you have any 32bit native game which you can test? For example, the Linux version of Terraria is 32bit. Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel also 32bit.

Sorry, had to sleep a bit.

I don't believe that Cinnamon was updated, it is still 17.1. I am using Gnome 3.9.90, but yes, native games and overall system performance are fine. I have played Portal and Half-Life 2 at max settings with no problem at all. Those run through the Linux Steam though, so they don't use CrossOver, at least directly. As far as I can tell, it is only games that use CrossOver that are having the problem, and since Blizzard games are the only ones installed through CrossOver.....

Sorry, I don't have any quick fix to offer.

When you run "top" in a terminal window, is there a considerable amount of CPU time spent in the Linux kernel (the "sy" part in line 3). Does direct rendering still work? It may be broken for 32 bit applications. It's also possible that your system switched from the binary GPU driver to the open source one. That shouldn't hurt much on AMD cards, but on the Nvidia side nouveau is no match for the nvidia binary blob.

Supertuxcard and unfortunately most native Linux games out there are very, very simple compared to WoW and other Windows games. The Unigine-based benchmarks do state of the art rendering though.

I have an update, after I tested other games using Steam, the problem went away. I could not get it to work, but then I played games with Steam and now everything is working fine. I have no idea..... No reboot, no GUI reset, just using Steam.

Weird. But if it works I'm happy 😊

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidmJaQmdOcWRiYkthdEJZYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9