World of Warships Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Critical Error during "Receiving Updates"

Trying to complete initial installation. Constantly get:

World of Warships - Critical Error
An unhandled exception is occurred.
The application will be restarted.

I've seen references to disable torrent, but I don't see anything about torrents yet under "Settings". The settings has 2 tabs "Basic" which has a blank box for language and "Updates" which sets Incoming connection port 6881 and a button for Windows Firewall. There is nothing about torrents.

UPDATE: Looks like the option to disable torrents was removed this month (Oct 2015). However, the following steps enabled the option to be displayed in Settings - but the Torrents option is already disabled. I toggled it back and forth no difference.. keep getting the critical error message. Speed wise my downloads are at 10MB/sec which is normal for my connection.

Steps to have Torrent option shown in settings:

1) Manage Bottles, browse C: drive and navigate to:

C:\Games\World_of_Warships

2) Edit File "WoWSLauncher.cfg"

Look for Entry:

<display_seeding_mode>1</display_seeding_mode>

Change the 0 to a 1.

Save and start installer again.

Hi Richard,
I followed your instructions and ran into the same problem , but I think I found a way to bypass the error/memory leak or whatever is causing it.

In the Settings->Updates area, take your Maximum Download Speed off unlimited, and set it to something else. My internet caps out at 3.5MB/s speed, so I only tested 512k/1MB/2/3 settings, but when I let it go, the Launcher finishes patching with no errors.

Chris Amos wrote:

In the Settings->Updates area, take your Maximum Download Speed off
unlimited, and set it to something else. My internet caps out at
3.5MB/s speed, so I only tested 512k/1MB/2/3 settings, but when I
let it go, the Launcher finishes patching with no errors.

Fresh install today of WoWS today (on Ubuntu 12.04) and I can confirm that setting the rate-limit will make the installer/patcher stable. Before it exhibited the same constant-crash and restart behavior.

Easy enough work around however.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieGJXY0d1Sk5HcmF3ZUtlMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9