Worms Armageddon Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to fix the frame rate.

So I got it all working, with crossover etc but now I am up to the point where everything in the game is working fine expect for the framerate at which it runs... it is close to unplayable. The last thread I saw on this topic was locked unresolved over a year ago so I thought it would bring it up again in the hope that it has since been solved.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to fix this problem?

Hi,

Umm....I don't recall having a framerate issue in -linux- but then this title
is down in 'w' on my list and I haven't rechecked it against CXG-9 yet...I'll do
that tonight and post back....

In the meantime, can you please provide us with your platform/OS version, which
videocard you have (and if applicable which drivers), and exactly what version of
crossover you are using? (all these things may play a part here 8)

Cheers!

Im using Mac OS X 10.6.4 on my intel core 2 duo imac.
Crossover Games version is 8.1.4
My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

Initially after installing with crossover I was getting the blank screen issue, then after changing it to use a virtual desktop I could get into all the menus but when I tried to start a game it would stop working. Finally I added the worms patch 3.6.29.0 then it all works fine I can play games etc except for the frame rate issue which I'm now looking for a fix for.

Thanks for looking in to it.

Hi again,

I just finished testing this on a few (linux) hardware configs here both with CXG-8.1.4/9.0
and don't experience any frame rate issues. The lowest end spec machine I have here (and this
is pretty lowend 8) is a 1ghz amd semprom with onboard 6150 nvidia video allocated a tiny 64mb
of ram for graphics -- even at 1024x768 this rig was having no problems. You definitely -do-
need 'emulate a virtual desktop' enabled and the windows version type should be set to win98.

If your bottle setup is exactly the same, I'd have to suspect this is some kind of OSX issue.
On that front, (and considering this game is officially supported), the next thing I think you
should do is email info@codeweavers.com detailing the problem (point back to this thread if
need be) and ask if they know of a solution (one of their Mac gurus may know something I do not)

Cheers!

Thanks for the thoughts, I think I may have the bottle set to win2000. Here's hoping that is the problem, I'll try it and see otherwise I'll email as you suggest.

I haven't had the chance to test the latest CXGames versions with the latest released Beta of W:A (3.6.29.0), but here's some things you could try:

1) Try reducing the in-game detail level of the background. This can increase performance in some cases. You can do this by pressing the Insert key in-game (or the corresponding Mac keyboard shortcut).

2) Not sure if this will have any effect, but you could try importing the NoLandInVram_On.reg registry script, which is located under the Tweaks directory under the game's installation directory. This tweak works around a problem with older Wine versions. I believe you'll need to launch Regedit from the bottle directly, and open the file from there.

Turns out it was the win2000 bottle rather than the win98 that was the problem, made the change and now works flawlessly. Awesome.

Thanks, that's interesting.

I wonder if W:A should try to detect this situation (Wine + Windows version other than 98) and tell the user to change the Windows version?

... \o/ ...

I like a good result, glad to hear you got it running....

@Vladimir -- good to hear from you again! I don't think you'll need to
tweak wa for this -- we can probably handle this all with the C4P system
so that the c4p file defaults to a win98 bottle type. Having to apply the
patch after the initial installation is probably the show stopper in that
regard, but I know future revision of C4P will allow for same...and I'm
reasonably sure winver=win98 will likely remain a part of the wine makeup
for a good long while....what do you think?

Cheers!

Hi :),

I'm not really sure what C4P files are or how having to install the patch would be a showstopper... I guess C4P is some kind of per-application configuration script? Anyway, if we can get CXGames to just run W:A in Win98 compatility mode that'd solve the problem, I guess.

Howdy,

Just so you know, hereunder describes C4P ;

"Another new feature is CrossOver's ability to download installation "recipes" directly from the CodeWeavers online Compatibility Database, located at http://C4.codeweavers.com. "If another CrossOver user has figured out how to use CrossOver to install a Windows application, they can upload that installation recipe to our database," said White. "As we go forward, and build this online storehouse, CrossOver will begin to automatically install that same application for other users. This enables us to move closer to a world where CrossOver will begin to run the majority of Windows apps, and not just an officially supported subset."

Uh-huh? So basically it'll end up as an c4p installation profile, which folks can download and cxinstaller will set the bottle type, emulated desktop stuff and so on 'automagically'. The show stopper with the patch goes like this -- if you have an app that requires, say, IE7 installed into the same bottle, you can do that by telling cxinstaller this is a predependency for the app, and IE7 is installed first followed by the app in question. In the case of an app (game) that requires a patch to be applied >>after>> the game itself is installed, there is no real way to do that (yet),
but the codeweavers folks know I'm looking for a 'postdependency' kind of function, and I've been told a future revision of C4P will do such a thing...

...so, in the end, the c4p file will set the bottle type, emulated desktop stuff and install the game patch 'automagically' as well 8)

Cheers!

It's very strange that the configured windows version would have any effect on performance. Does W:A do its rendering differently on Windows 9x?

@Don: ah, that's pretty cool.

One thing which might or might not be relevant: Together with the next Beta update, we plan to release a package which would allow WWP owners to play W:A. Basically it contains all of the game's files which aren't also present on the WWP CD (the games share a lot in common). It will have the next Beta version included, so there's no need to install the 3.0 Patch or the new GFX directories separately.

Its possible relevance to the issue at hand lies in that it will also work with W:A CDs. This means that you just download and install this package, pop in the W:A CD, and you're ready to play.

@Vincent: I looked over the code, and even though there's one place where the code refers to the Windows version, I doubt it'd have anything to do with performance: when the in-game part starts or when you unminimize the game, it attempts to patch the RealizePalette function on NT-based Windows versions, to prevent WM_PALETTECHANGED be broadcasted (this caused some broken applications to enforce their own palette, corrupting W:A's palette). But it's not called every frame or anything so I don't see why would it cause a performance problem.

I suppose the "configured Windows version" switch does more than just change the value of GetVersion[Ex]?

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

@Don: ah, that's pretty cool.

One thing which might or might not be relevant: Together with the
next Beta update, we plan to release a package which would allow WWP
owners to play W:A. Basically it contains all of the game's files
which aren't also present on the WWP CD (the games share a lot in
common). It will have the next Beta version included, so there's no
need to install the 3.0 Patch or the new GFX directories separately.

Its possible relevance to the issue at hand lies in that it will
also work with W:A CDs. This means that you just download and
install this package, pop in the W:A CD, and you're ready to play.

snip<

Hi again,

Great, thanks for the extra info here wrt the future -- C4P is in it's (more or less) 'alpha' state at present, and what you describe seems to me a process that C4P will be able to handle in it's next incantations in some way, manner or form....and as an advocate for WA I'll be sure to chase these thing as they become fully apparent... 8)

Cheers!

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTlJxN25jdVFDQkZGUWttYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9