Worms Armageddon Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Online play? Full screen mode?

Should the online play for WA be working. I get as far as double clicking on Auto Login for WormsNet and then the intro music plays and the Channels and Players screen comes up, but it says "Please wait... working.." for about 4 minutes and then comes up with "Fatal error during gameserver connection, disconnecting". Any ideas?

Also wondering about getting it to play in full screen. I change the display to virtual desktop 1024x768 to get it to play but then it wont do full screen, just at that resolution, I've heard of people playing in full screen but can't think of what to do next. Any ideas?

Hi,

Wormnet I'll need look into later in some more depth...but...I'll
be looking at that from the position of CXG-9.0 initially (it's a bit
of a pain swapping between cx versions, but iirc that was working back
in cxg-8.x.x)....I'll let you know...

As for fullscreen, I'm pretty sure the max res for the game is 4:3 aspect
@ 1024x768 -- how it behaves when faced with a 16:9/10 aspect display is
unknown to me. That said, on the other rig here which does have a 4:3 aspect
display capable of 1024x768 native, the moment I disable emulated virtual
desktop I lost mouse focus/input which renders the game unplayable. Again,
that was wrt CXG-9 (and it blewup the bottle when I rolled back to cxg-8.1.4
so I'll need setup that environment again)...

...leave it with me and I'll let you know what I discover..

Cheers!

Hi,

WormNET is known not to work with W:A versions prior to v3.6.23.0 Beta, without manual patching. Beta updates also add support for resolutions other than 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 - you can use any resolution reported by the OS as available. So, if you haven't already, try installing the latest update from the game's website.

I'm not really sure if you can put a virtual desktop window in full screen...

Hi again,

Okay....wormnet is working in cxg-8.1.4 with wa-patch v3.6.29.0 --- conversely, Wormnet is broken in cxg-9 and I'll need do a regression test on that front.
If wormnet isn't working for you, the only thing I can think of is the port required is being blocked by your firewall/router or what have you...

Regarding fullscreen...it seems a Very Bad Idea[tm] to disable 'emulate a virtual desktop' regardless of cxg version. The moment I do that, the mouse focus/input
is rendered kaput and you can't do anything....so it looks like you'll have to leave 'emulate a virtual desktop' ON to use WA at all. If what Vlad says is correct
(and I've no reason to doubt him 8), then I suspect the only way to get 'pseudo fullscreen' with emulated desktop enabled, would be to set the emulated desktop
size to something bigger...(but not bigger than your native display resolution)...and -disable- 'allow window manager to decorate windows'...or such'n'similar..

Cheers!

Im using cxg-8.1.4 with the wa-patch v3.6.29.0 and don't using a firewall/router so not sure where I've gone wrong. Do I need to configure my info in the worms options?

Not being able to do genuine full screen is fine, I just thought I had read elsewhere that it was possible but I guess I misunderstood.

You shouldn't need to configure anything just to be able to connect to WormNET. If you post a packet log, I can have a look at it; there are Windows instructions here, they shouldn't differ too much on OS X aside Wireshark installation.

You're right...it should work straight up....however I'm not sure wireshark will help here..ie; gnat is using OSX 10.6.x
and the .dmg packages are for OSX 10.5 (dunno if that matters but it well might)....if wireshark doesn't do the trick,
have a look for another packet sniffer ..ie; http://mac.softpedia.com/downloadTag/sniffer

It's possible on Linux if you set a virtual desktop size (or in-game resolution) equal to your screen size, but that feature does not work on OSX because of differences in window management.

I've taken a log with cocoa packet analyzer. It captured 63 packets. Having never worked with this stuff before I'm not exactly sure what you need. Is there a specific packet or is it all 63?

eg) Packet: 1, Packetlength: 78 bytes, Packet follows:

00000 00 24 14 60 ca e4 00 23 32 9e a2 d0 08 00 45 00 .$.`...#2.....E.
00010 00 40 f2 25 40 00 40 06 40 16 79 49 fa c4 d4 f0 .@.%@.@.@.yI....
00020 bf 7d c6 2e 00 50 1b 78 1d 67 00 00 00 00 b0 02 .}...P.x.g......
00030 ff ff 08 af 00 00 02 04 05 b4 01 03 03 03 01 01 ................
00040 08 0a 37 c5 1a 90 00 00 00 00 04 02 00 00 ..7...........

Well... would it be possible to save the entire packet log and upload it somewhere? Or e-mail it to vladimir at worms2d dot info.

I'll email it, probably easiest.

Thanks, got it.

There seems to be a problem with how W:A does HTTP requests. Specifically, it doesn't seem to be notified when a connection was closed by the server - which is causing it to "time out", even though it gets and processes all the data. I've reproduced this problem with the latest CXGames and W:A version.

You can work around this problem by using a WormNET snooper. Snoopers will let you chat on WormNET, and join and host games - they will launch W:A with a command-line to join a specific game. This allows W:A to bypass WormNET entirely. I'd recommend ProSnooper (as I've just tested it and it seems to work), you can find a full list in the "WormNET Snoopers" section of http://worms2d.info/Software .

By the way, during my testing I found a regression in CXGames 9: the Enter key doesn't seem to work in the frontend. To reproduce, enter the LAN lobby (from the main menu: network game (big bottom left button) -> LAN game (big top left button)), type something and press Enter. It doesn't seem to be present in CXGames 8.1.4. This is pretty serious because you won't be able to speak in the pre-game lobby, and 90% of hosters will kick you out. If you're behind NAT or a firewall, you won't be able to use HostingBuddy

Well, unless someone has better ideas, I guess I'll look into adding workarounds for the two issues above for the next Beta release.

Holy premature posting, Batman! Pressing Enter in the "Insert Link" dialog submits your post instead of inserting the link.

... If you're behind NAT or a firewall, you won't be able to use HostingBuddy either, since it is controlled by chat commands, and WormKit doesn't work in Wine.

;)

Vincent already has a ticket wrt what I found to be an issue with WormNET -- possibly the above info you
expound will help him in that regard...that said, I was reading the wine-1.2-rc5 changelog earlier and a
little something along the lines of what you describe I think I saw there (not entirely sure)...but this
is mostly FYI so you know a ticket has been hoisted wrt WormNET & cxg-9....

Of course...gnat is using cxg-8 and so he shouldn't really have that problem - certainly WA/WormNET was/is
working correctly here wrt cxg-8.1.4 ...

Cheers!

Alright! excellent information in this thread. For the record, my post in the other thread was also on the basis of a latest-patched WA and CX-Games 9.x. I guess I'll revert to 8.x for now in order to get on WormNet.

The full screen thing is mostly a bummer because it can be a bit annoying to lose mouse control beyond the edge of the window when you're moving around in the Worms screen. But I've pretty much gotten used to it at this point.

Higher resolutions beyond the default can lead to serious performance drops. 1920 x 1200 was completely unacceptable on my 2.93GHz Core 2 with 4GB RAM. You just have to experiment and see how high you can go.

So I downloaded ProSnooper and opened it with crossover... I try to connect to the host and it just says 'connecting' for a minute then 'disconnected' so still seems to not be working.

Even though it says disconnected a few games appear in the right column but when I try to join it it just says "Joining UISxWaterMelon (201.202.141.110:17011)." and nothing more happens.

I then realised that's probably to how your supposed to connect to a game so I opened up worms and typed in the IP into Direct TCP/IP but then it would connect directly but as it checks the status of the host it times out and I disconnect.

Any ideas?

Thank you guys for all the tips, now everything works really fine (can play online with ProSnooper) :D
Once again, Crossover saves the day!

Great thing seeing worms armageddon finally working on my Mac... ^_^

Hi,

Great to hear!...would you mind telling us exactly which
version of Crossover you are using? I'm tracking a ticket on
this title, and every bit of information helps!

Cheers!

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

By the way, during my testing I found a regression in CXGames 9: the
Enter key doesn't seem to work in the frontend. To reproduce, enter
the LAN lobby (from the main menu: network game (big bottom left
button) -> LAN game (big top left button)), type something and press
Enter. It doesn't seem to be present in CXGames 8.1.4. This is
pretty serious because you won't be able to speak in the pre-game
lobby, and 90% of hosters will kick you out.

This seems to be a Wine regression:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23453

I've put together a patch and sent it off towards wine-patches, so I guess it should be resolved when CodeWeavers picks it up.

WormNET seems to work fine in latest Wine as well.

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

This seems to be a Wine regression:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23453

I've put together a patch and sent it off towards wine-patches, so I
guess it should be resolved when CodeWeavers picks it up.

WormNET seems to work fine in latest Wine as well.

Hi again,

I just tagged this onto the bug here wrt this problem, so that should
increase it's visibility somewhat.

Cheers!

I'm new to the forum.
And I've come to the same issue.
Can't log onto WormNet, as I receive the FatalError while I try to connect.
I'm using Windows vista, and after allowing it pass my firewall, I still end up nowhere? Please help...

DragonFlame wrote:

I'm using Windows vista
You're in the wrong place. This is the web site of CodeWeavers, creators of products such as CrossOver Games which allow playing Windows games on Mac and Linux.

A more appropriate place would be the official Team17 W:A Support forum.

1 to 22 of 22

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNjZLYVF4dFRrS2FYU3Q3YyIsImdkcHIiOjB9