X-Com: Terror From the Deep Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Notes about Direct2Drive version - (may help other releases)

This title is actually being hoisted by the win32 port of the (MS-)DOS emulator,
'DosBox' v0.72 -- this emulator software keeps on improving, and native ports
exist for most all operating systems. The Direct2Drive release is DRM free, and
the game directory structure is straight-forward -- this invites the possibility
of modifying how the game runs, beyond the options available in the game itself.

Firstly, there are options available in the DosBox configuration file, that aren't
exposed by program menus - what you can do with this file, like scaling resolutions
in windowed mode etc, are more an exercise in understanding what DosBox itself can
do, and the best place to start learning about that (dosbox.conf), is in the DosBox
wiki pages ... see;

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox

Secondly, you should be able to use the installed games files, with a native port
of DosBox - one might want to do this for compatibility or functional reasons. If you
do such a thing, (and I've done this with GOG games), I think the best idea is to
copy the game files out of the bottle they were installed into, and put them somewhere
relative to your native DosBox installation. Then, using the existing dosbox.conf file
for the game as a guide, alter/amend the required changes to incorporate the game.

Lastly, it should be equally possible to update, or, use a newer release of the win32
port of DosBox with the game files. The reason I mention this, is that the win32 port
of DosBox is considered to be the most actively maintained branch, has numerous frontend
GUI programs available, and usually 'leads the way'. How one would go about updating
the existing DosBox installation is something I can only guess at -- me, I'd be looking
to copy the game files into a newly installed win32 DosBox environment using this ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=5949

...I'd then start being incredibly lazy, and install this (or another) DosBox frontend;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7684

...and finally, copy the game files out of the bottle they're in, into some directory
that fitted into the scheme of things created by installing the above two targets, and
you'll end up with the latest (0.74) version of the win32 DosBox port, and (hopefully)
something that works =)

Cheers!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV2NldnVKZ2Qyd2VVR3RrRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9