ZtreeWIN Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to get it working

My copy of ZTreeWin was installed in a virtual Windows, so the install had been run there. I've just copied it to a Linux directory, so I don't know what's happened with the licensing.

In the ztw directory in Linux, I've created a simple 2 line bash script, called ztw.sh :-
cd /home/tim/ztw
/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle XP wineconsole.exe --backend=user ztw.exe Z\:\home\tim

/home/tim/ztw is where I've put ZTreeWin
/opt/cxoffice is where CrossOver is installed
bottle XP is a Windows XP bottle, this works better than the default Win98 bottle
Z\:\home\tim is where I want ZTreeWin to open up to. The extra '\' are required as excape characters
Z: is mapped to the Linux root directory (I think Z: is the default)

On my Linux desktop, I've created a shortcut called Ztw :-
Command is bash /home/tim/ztw/ztw.sh
Set to run in a terminal - this is essential
The 'icon' is a copy of the ztw.ico file, read into the GIMP and saved as ztw.png

When you click on the short cut, you will get a terminal window appear, then the ZTreeWin window. If you close the terminal window, you will close ZTreeWin ! The ZtreeWin Window may initialise as a maximum size window, but the ZtreeWin part will only ever be 80x25. You can return to the 'normal' size by clicking the 'correct' button on the window.

Main issue is that you are stuck with 80x25. You can however make life a little easier. If you right click the mouse in the ZTreeWin window, you get a menu where you can select properties and change the font size.

Running programs from within ZTreeWin
If you stick to the root drive (Z:) there appears to be no problem calling other Windows programs, even in another bottle.
To call my editor (Multi-Edit for Windows), I have created MEW.BAT which contains :-
z:\opt\cxoffice\bin\wine "/home/tim/.cxoffice/win98/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu/Programs/Multi-Edit+2006/Multi-Edit+2006" %1

This works fine (Multi-Edit has some issues - see the Multi-Edit forums, search for LINUX, if you are interested in running it). It works so well that even calling Multi-Edit multiple times does not create another instance of it.

For simple editing, CrossOver has a built in notepad.exe so you can use that for simple editing.

Big WARNING: when you close ZTreeWin, any programs called this way will be closed ! The '&' does not seem to work in the .bat file. I will need to put another step in to call bash, so I can use the '&' and get the subordinate program to run as a separate task.

Running Linux programs should work, but will require the file name to be translated back to a Linux name.

I have sent an email suggesting some changes to ZTreeWin to help it run Linux programs more easily.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidFhtNWdSbnk0OWNjYmVrQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9