I am delighted to announce that CodeWeavers has just released
CrossOver 12 for both Mac OS X and Linux.
This release of CrossOver includes major structural changes in
CrossOver's underlying Wine technology, as well as a preview of
CrossOver's new "Mac Driver," a technology which will make Windows
applications integrate more seamlessly with Mac OS X under
This release also includes more than 5,000 individual changes to
Wine, meaning there are numerous improvements in how your favorite
applications will run under CrossOver. Applications with improved
support include the Microsoft Office suite, various Quicken
versions, and many of your favorite games. New in CrossOver 12 are
official support for Quicken 2013; support for the popular game
World of Tanks; and, on Linux, support for Guild Wars 2.
For the technically minded, CrossOver's new Mac Driver means that
the X Window System will no longer be needed to run Windows
applications under CrossOver. The Mac Driver will also offer better
integration with the native windowing system on the Mac (for example,
you can use command-tab to switch between apps running in
full-screen mode). The Mac Driver is "experimental" in this
release, meaning we will turn it on selectively for applications
where we expect improvements. As we continue developing it, and as
the rest of the open-source Wine community adds their improvements,
it will become the standard way that CrossOver runs all applications
on Mac OS X.
As always, if you are an existing customer with an active support
entitlement, you can download our latest version from
> and use it. Mac customers who have
automatic updates enabled and who are entitled to this update will
receive it automatically.
If CrossOver 12 asks you for registration credentials, use the same
email and password which you used to purchase CrossOver from
>. If you have any trouble, email
' for help.
Thank you all for your support, and we hope you enjoy CrossOver 12!
Changelog for CrossOver 12.0.0:
* CrossOver 12.0.0 - 2012/12/03
Mac OS X:
- CrossOver now incorporates our experimental Mac Driver. With
the Mac Driver, Windows programs running under CrossOver no
longer have to use the X Window System to interact with the
screen and keyboard. This feature is currently experimental but
will become the way all CrossOver applications work on OS X in
- CrossOver has improved font handling for fonts used by certain
applications, such as National Mah Jongg League Online.
- CrossOver Linux now installs a single desktop menu item
rather than a multitude of desktop menus. This approach works
better with desktop systems such as GNOME 3 and Unity, which
usually don't have a hierarchical desktop menu structure.
- CrossOver now has much better support for window transparency
(layered windows) when a compositing window manager is
available. (When the Mac Driver is complete, this feature will
be available on OS X as well). Many transparent windows will
now work that did not before. Improvements in this area
- Microsoft Office applications in the Office 2003 and Office 2007
suites will now behave properly when working with embedded
pictures or graphics. Previously, rotating or resizing embedded
graphics caused the screen to go temporarily black;
- Game launchers (such as that for Guild Wars 2, for example) which
use color-keying to create transparent window areas will display
properly rather than being drawn with black borders;
- ...and many more.
- We have resolved some issues which caused printers not to appear.
- CrossOver now supports World of Tanks.
- CrossOver now supports Quicken 2013.
- CrossOver now supports installation of .Net 4.0.
- CrossOver linux now supports Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 will
run for many people on CrossOver Mac, but many users will
encounter persistent graphics problems. Previously, CodeWeavers
had released a specially-built version of CrossOver dedicated
to running Guild Wars 2. That is no longer necessary.
- Improvements to Microsoft Office:
- Fixed a crash displaying certain email messages in Outlook 2010.
- Outlook 2010 will now save passwords.
- Improved Gmail and other IMAP connections with Outlook 2007.
- Fixed auto-discovery during account configuration for
- PowerPoint 2010 now displays equations in slide shows.
- PowerPoint 2010 no longer displays blank slides.
- Fixed bugs in Word 2010 which caused the equation editor to
be missing structures and formulas.
- Fixed a bug in Word 2010 related to footnote style choices.
- Project 2007 and 2010 can now edit dates for recurring tasks.
- Fixed a crash in Project 2010 when filtering by resource name.
- Visio 2002 can now search for new shapes.
- Visio 2010 now displays properly when multiple shapes are open.
- Star Trek Online is now faster during game updates.
- Quicken 2009 no longer has garbled text on its buttons.
- An issue with installation of .Net 3.5 SP1 was resolved.
- World of Warcraft has had fixes related to patching and
CrossOver and Wine:
- CrossOver is now based on Wine 1.5.15.
- CrossOver's built-in web-browser will offer to download and
install ActiveX controls.
- CrossOver now comes bundled with the Wine-Mono package, an
alternative implementation of the .Net API.
- CrossOver now implements Raw Input, the set of APIs used for
mouse input by games like Guild Wars 2, World of Tanks, and others.
- Support for printing on a variety of paper sizes has been improved.
- DirectSound has a new resampler, for higher quality audio.
- CrossOver now has sub-pixel font anti-aliasing.