CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Steam Installed but can't access the internet?

I ran into the initial Steam.dll error that others have had, and found the staff suggestions extremely helpful (thank you so much for responding). It now runs fine and gets to the

"create a new account" or "login with an existing account". I'm connected to the internet through wireless and neither option works. Is there something I'm not seeing? or should I just delete the bottle and try again?

THank you so much for any responses.

Do you have a firewall blocking the access? What happens when you try to login with an existing account?

No firewall. I'll look into my port forwarding and whatnot. It just doesnt seem like it could be that because i can connect to it through fusion and bootcamp and on my windows box (attached to the same router)

When I try to make a new account it says it can't because it's not online. I realize I'm being kind of a nuisance and I'm not even a paying customer yet, but I'd love to get this running. I'm going to keep playing with it, and if anyone has a suggestion that would be great.

EDIT: It's not even giving me the initial option to log-in or create an account anymore.
Its just attempting to login to my account and saying it can't connect to steam. And it doesnt have any sored info so it cant run.

SECOND EDIT: I have tried replacing it with a clean steam installation with no username inputted yet(from bootcamp). A clean steam install with the username and pass inserted once from bootcamp. A clean install with username and one game (TF2).

I've tried all three of these options, with both a Win2000 bottle, and a WinXP Bottle.

I'm just wondering if the "temp fix" to get around the DLL issue is causing this. It's really quite frustrating.

This is really strange - once you're past the initial update before the login Steam already communicated with the servers, so a failure after that doesn't make sense. The local Steam servers are sometimes down or not responding some requests, in that case it helps to wait a day or two. I guess you've been trying longer than that already though. Also when you copy the files from a Windows partition, check the permissions. If the Windows partition was mounted read only, the copied files may be set to read only as well.

I Googled around a bit, and the Steam.dll problem seems to happen on Windows as well. So far I've only found the general Steam troubleshooting tip to delete ClientRegistry.blob. However, this file does not exist before the first login, so this trick will not help here.

Well, I deleted everything and will try again in a few days. It wasn't the permissions. And I deleted that .blob file and it didn't do anything. It all is a bit strange. I don't understand the nature of the first problem so that's kind of annoying. It doesn't happen to everyone then?

So.. Here's my last interesting note and then I'll shut up.

I can't access the internet on Steam through Fusion.

But I can get online with Firefox.

So it appears that just steam itself can't get on my internet perhaps?

Anyone have this sort of trouble?

I guess I'll check out Steampowered and look for this sort of problem.

So I figured it out. I feel retarded . Absolutely and completely. I'm sorry for wasting your time guys.

PeerGuardian was blocking the ports. I wasn't even aware it was running. Ha. check that guys before you run to forums.

Thanks guys.

Kellen, thanks for reporting what caused your issues. I will keep it in mind to help other people who have the same problem!

Great to hear it is working now,
Stefan

hello

i DO NOT have peerguardian or anything of that sort. have been playing tf2 successfully for almost a year now on using crossovermac and now crossover games

i am having the same issues, get past the initial update screen on steam, then gives me error message saying cannot connect to steam. this just started yesterday and today. please advise. i do not have firewall or port issues and do not run peerguardian as others on this forum do. i do not want to have to reinstall steam and re-install tf2. is there a way to save tf2 and re-install steam without affecting game files???

PLEASE HELP!!! i miss my tf2!!!

thanks

First of all I recommend you to wait one more day. Maybe a local steam server is down. If that doesn't help, try to delete ClientRegistry.blob, and check for other hints in the Steam FAQ.

You can backup the steamapps/ folder in the steam installation directory, reinstall steam in a new bottle and copy the steamapps folder back. That way you avoid re-downloading TF2

I have the same problem. I was playing CS:S successfully, and all of a sudden it now says it cannot connect to the Steam servers. The only thing that happened differently is that an update window popped up for Crossover Games 7.1.0, but nothing was downloaded, so that shouldn't affect anything.

I spoke too soon: deleting ClientRegistry.blob fixed the problem.

Thanks!

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

First of all I recommend you to wait one more day. Maybe a local
steam server is down. If that doesn't help, try to delete
ClientRegistry.blob, and check for other hints in the Steam FAQ.

You can backup the steamapps/ folder in the steam installation
directory, reinstall steam in a new bottle and copy the steamapps
folder back. That way you avoid re-downloading TF2

hey stefan,

GREAT TIP! i didn't del clientregistry.blob. i simply moved it just in case i needed the original file. moving it to the root folder fixed the problem! thanks

**on a side note: why is this happening??? only thing i observed that could have caused this was the recent airport driver updates on the mac os x. at least that's the ONLY thing that was different from when i was running tf2 and steam successfully and after update not being able to even boot up steam.

Actually, deleting ClientRegistry.blob is a common Steam troubleshooting trick. If you search the internet for problems with Steam, deleting ClientRegistry.blob is the most common workaround.

So the bottom line is that as any software, Steam is not perfect, and CrossOver cannot prevent application bugs from occurring.

I too was having an issue where i could not connect to steam at all. it would open and immediately say "cannot connect to steam servers" and something about being unable to go into offline mode. i deleted the ClietRegistry.blob and tried again. steam updated and works now. thanks for the help.

-jordan

Where does crossover store the files, because i can't find the clientregistry.blob file. My steam isn't working either, it says it can't connect to the steam server. I tried re-install many times.... steam and crossover, but to no avail. Also i disabled the dmz on my router... still nothing.... deleting the clientregistry.blob is the only thing i haven't tried, but i can't find it, i don't know where crossover put the files.... help please.....

Where does crossover store the files, because i can't find the clientregistry.blob file. My steam isn't working either, it says it can't connect to the steam server. I tried re-install many times.... steam and crossover, but to no avail. Also i disabled the dmz on my router... still nothing.... deleting the clientregistry.blob is the only thing i haven't tried, but i can't find it, i don't know where crossover put the files.... help please.....

Harjus wrote:

Where does crossover store the files, because i can't find the
clientregistry.blob file. My steam isn't working either, it says it
can't connect to the steam server. I tried re-install many times....
steam and crossover, but to no avail. Also i disabled the dmz on my
router... still nothing.... deleting the clientregistry.blob is the
only thing i haven't tried, but i can't find it, i don't know where
crossover put the files.... help please.....

Crossover Games Stores the files in this directory User/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/BottleName/ that is where it stores your files
But if you want steam go from there to drive_c/Program Files/Steam and ClientRegistry.blob is right there!
Your Welcome In advance..

Tim Gauvin wrote:

Harjus wrote:

Where does crossover store the files, because i can't
find the clientregistry.blob file. My steam isn't working either,
it
says it can't connect to the steam server. I tried re-install many
times.... steam and crossover, but to no avail. Also i disabled
the
dmz on my router... still nothing.... deleting the
clientregistry.blob is the only thing i haven't tried, but i can't
find it, i don't know where crossover put the files.... help
please.....

Crossover Games Stores the files in this directory
User/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/BottleName/
that is where it stores your files
But if you want steam go from there to drive_c/Program Files/Steam
and ClientRegistry.blob is right there!
Your Welcome In advance..

I found it, and deleted, didn't help, but thanks for showing me where it was....

1 to 19 of 19

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidXBiSm5FSDZQUFpNV0dzSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9