CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Crossover Games not working on New Mac (nVidia card)

I upgraded to a new macbook pro laptop (2.4 Ghz Intel with GeForce 8600M GT graphics card) and now all my games no longer work right.

In City of Heroes, when I mouse over a target it REDRAWS everything for a split second and you can see through walls when this happens. If you mouse back and forth over a target rapidly it will cause the game to just hang.)

When I play Super Mario World 64 inside Project64 it fails to load the bitmap for the ground. So I get a grey solid color for the ground and no grass, so you can't see where you are. There's no bitmap for the floor at all.

Both these problems started happening when I upgraded to the new hardware/new laptop.

Hi,

Are these fresh/newly installed bottles, or are you using archived bottles?

Also, which MacOSX version/crossover version are yo referring to here?

Cheers!

Sounds like you may have followed MAC OSX upgrade from one one machine to another?

In addition to Don's questions, can you tell us what you upgraded from if you did do the Mac OSX upgrade?

1- I installed Snow Leopard on this new machine and used the "Restore from Time Machine" option to recover my user account AND applications.

2- I deleted CrossOver and all it's files and reinstalled it and all the games.

3- This is a 2.4 Ghz Intel MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and CrossOver Games (8.1.4).

4- I just reinstall Snow Leopard fresh from DVD and retried SuperMario World 64 and same problem... no floor bitmaps... and same problem in COH with redrawing everything.

This used to work fine on my 1.8 Ghz MacBook Pro. The only thing that changed is the hardware (newer graphics card).

Also - the weird mouse over bug only happens on INDOOR missions in COH.

It's like it quickly in a split second has to redraw everything. And you can see through walls then that happens. Makes for a bizarre flicker effect.

I did do an OS upgrade.

Was running Leopard. And did the standard upgrade/install to Snow Leopard, but selected restore from Time Machine inside the Snow Leopard installer after it had installed Snow Leopard.

I'm confused by what you did now. I think I understand the part of 10.6 and doing a Time Machine restore but then you said you deleted all of the games and reinstalled and are having this problem but then you said you did do an OS upgrade? Isn't the 10.6 and Time Machine your OS upgrade?

Can you confirm you deleted Crossover Games and the bottles and reinstalled it and created new bottles? Did you play with the registry settings or just did it the same way that worked with your old hardware?

What Graphics card did your old laptop have? ie, I've seen issues with the Nvidia card in MacBooks where I didn't see the problem with an ATI card.

In order:

1- Had a 1.8Ghz Macbook Pro and everything was working perfectly. Backed up my user account using Time Machine

2- Got a 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro which was installed with Leopard

3- Installed Snow Leopard onto new 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro and restored my user account using Time Machine

4- Games and bitmaps are messed up

5- Deleted CrossOver and reinstalled. Did not fix the problem.

6- Reinstalled Snow Leopard. Did not fix the problem....

Next step is to completely ERASE the harddrive and restore my user account and see if that fixes the problem....

I doubt it will though. This appears to be a Cross Over + NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT problem....

Ok, in this step:

5- Deleted CrossOver and reinstalled. Did not fix the problem.

What did you do with the bottles? Did you recreate the bottles? Did you archive the bottles first and then reinstall and added the bottles back?

I just deleted /Applications/CrossOver Games, ~/Applications/Crossover Games, and I think ~/Library/Applications Support/CrossOver Games

Those 3 directories.

Then reinstalled Crossover and the games.

Will try that step again and delete all preferences files I can find as well....

I've tried reinstalling Snow Leopard twice now, so that's not the problem. It really feels like a bug with CrossOver and this new graphics card. :(

Also, CrossOver Games is the -only- application having these weird graphical 3d issues. When I load the graphical calculator and throw up several complicated 3d graphs none of them have any issue at all.

Only CrossOver is having all these weird rendering issues. :(

I can definitely believe the Nvidia card is a problem as I've got an open ticket with it behaving differently on NWN2 but it still works just looks weird.

That said are you installing the games with the same registry entries or are you mucking with the registries? ie, I have to do different registry entries to get it working with the NVidia card in the past.

I don't touch the registry.

I'm tried installing/reinstalling.

I'm out of ideas here. Would switching away from Apple's X11 work better?

So in COH- I think the problem has something to do with the mouse pointer. You know how they change your mouse pointer to RED when you mouse over an enemy and to blue when you mouse over a contact?

Anytime my mouse changes it redraws the whole screen.

Again, this only happens when my character is INSIDE (buildings) and when I mouse over a contact or target.

And yes I tried running with -compatiblecursors 1, and that did not solve the problem either:

Here's the command I'm running for the game:

$ ps -aef|grep wine|grep cursor
501 4142 1 0 0:14.87 ?? 3:52.23 /Applications/CrossOver Games.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOverGames/lib/../bin/wineloader C:\Program Files\City of Heroes\CityOfHeroes.exe -project Coh -compatiblecursors 1

I'm not sure you'll be able to avoid the registry as most every game I've touched has required whether it is for an Nvidia or ATI card. I have MACs with both video cards.

I don't have COH so I can't test for it :(.

You might try setting the VideoMemorySize registry setting. That one is non-controversial and, to my knowledge, never harmful. At worst, it's redundant. You can search the forums for the details.

If Command-Option-R produced better rendering, you might also try configuring the bottle to use a virtual desktop window. That's done via Configure > Manage Bottles > select bottle > Control Panel > winecfg > Graphics > Emulate a virtual desktop.

In general, that video card is not out of the mainstream in terms of cards we test with.

I have a vague recollection, though, that City of Heroes doesn't use Direct3D. Rather, it uses OpenGL. Oddly, even though OpenGL is the native 3D rendering library of Mac OS X and CrossOver has to do a lot more work to get Direct3D working, games using OpenGL is sometimes more troublesome. The problem is that, where there are bugs or problems with Mac OS X's OpenGL, our Direct3D translation can avoid or work around them. If a game goes directly to OpenGL, though, we are no longer the middleman. We have no opportunity to change how the game tries to use OpenGL. So, it stumbles right into those bugs or problems.

How do I edit the "VideoMemorySize registry setting?"

Also, when I Command-Option-R in Super Mario World 64 - it doesn't fix the problem. I still have no floor/map for Bomber's "Bob-Omb Battlefield." Again, this worked fine on my 1.8 Ghz MacBook Pro.

Same for City of Heroes. Command-Option-R does nothing. When I mouse over a target or do anything that would change the mouse icon, it flickers/jitters/redraws. :(

I just reinstalled Leopard last night for the 3 time.... still no fix... :(

Again, how do I edit the "registry settings"?

Here's a cut/paste from one of my How-Tos. IF you don't have the Direct3D key you'll have to put that in first. I snipped the other other stuff you didn't care about.

7) Run Regedit (Programs -> Run Command -> Browse -> windows -> Regedit and Select your bottle) and install/change the following keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
VideoMemorySize=512

Note that VideoMemorySize should match what is installed in your computer. Apple -> About This Mac -> More info... -> Graphics/Display.

You don't actually have to browse to pick regedit. Just type "regedit" as the command in the field.

To create a missing key in the key path, select the previous key and do Edit > New > Key and then type the name.

The VideoMemorySize value is a string value, even though you'll be entering a number. So, to create it, select the Direct3D key and do Edit > New > String value.

When I click on the Direct3D key in the registry I see no option for virtualmemorysize....

Here's what I see:

http://pics.livejournal.com/jackal/pic/005gx36f

Well I added a string pair with VideoMemorySize=512 and restarted Crossover and that did not seem to help.

Ping.

Any help?

I notice using the new mac version that I'm a lot more choppy in game versus my older macbook. I hope that Apple and/or Codeweavers releases an update. I should be getting a much higher FPS. I play on the lowest graphics possible, and other players complain about me being glitchy (and I literally live 1KM from the server, ping is not an issue)

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/10/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-6-3-build-10d552-to-developers/

"- Addresses compatibility issues with OpenGL-based applications"

Here's hoping!

1 to 24 of 24

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSjhIc2RKOGViRnlIeWtkUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9