CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

support for cross platform libraries ?

Hi all.

Not sure if this is possible. While playing with track mania forever there was a sound issue with openAL, which copying another version of the .dll solved some of the problem.
I wondered since openAL is a cross platform library and there is a linux/mac version of this would it not possible to pass the library calls to the linux/mac library (part of wine possibly) of openAL then trying to use the windows .dll to handle audio ?

Please realize I know NOTHING about the internal workings of wine :P

Henti

That's technically possible, but it needs some coding work in Wine. It needs an openal.dll.so library in Wine which offers the OpenAL entrypoints, loads the linux openal.so library and calls the Linux functions whenever the Windows app calls openal. That is similar to how our opengl32.dll works.

A LONG time ago Wine had the ability to load Linux libraries directly. This could allow the Windows app to directly call the Linux lib. However, this doesn't work for most libraries due to calling convention differences[1], and it caused problems with debugging. So the .so loading was dropped, and now a wrapper lib is needed for everything.

Someone wrote such a thunk openal.dll.so some time ago, but it wasn't accepted into Wine due to the way it was coded. It used a lot of Macros, but the preferred way is to have the functions coded explicitly, maybe autogenerated by a Perl script. Maybe I have some time to look into that somewhen. (Of course if anyone wants to get started with Wine coding I am happy to help out too)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calling_convention

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQUY0TUpRcVlnVXlIeHk4RyIsImdkcHIiOjB9