CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

CrossOver vs. CrossOver Games

I find this delineation extremely confusing. Have you thought about combining the two into one program that runs it all? I delayed purchasing a license for this reason (although i eventually decided on plain CrossOver).

For lack of a better way of saying this, "how much" of a game can plain CrossOver handle? How much of a "regular app" can CrossOver Games handle? Obviously if you want to run some graphic intensive MMO you'd probably need the Games version but what about if I want to run some simple checkers program? Can CrossOver Games run Internet Explorer?

Craig L Stevenson wrote:

I find this delineation extremely confusing. Have you thought about
combining the two into one program that runs it all? I delayed
purchasing a license for this reason (although i eventually decided
on plain CrossOver).

For lack of a better way of saying this, "how much" of a game can
plain CrossOver handle? How much of a "regular app" can CrossOver
Games handle? Obviously if you want to run some graphic intensive
MMO you'd probably need the Games version but what about if I want
to run some simple checkers program? Can CrossOver Games run
Internet Explorer?

We have considered combining them in the past and often debate the topic.

CrossOver Games has some specific pieces that make graphically intense games run better. These pieces do strange and undesirable things to office type applications like MS Outlook. It "can" run Internet Explorer 6, but the combination of additional factors makes supporting Internet Explorer 6 in this fashion difficult at this time. I have heard of some customers running MS Office on CXGames, but the fact that I've heard of it means they had problems and we eventually did a clean install into CrossOver Office.

CrossOver Office has some specific pieces that make office type applications run better. It can handle some games that are not graphically intense (Mahjongg, Solitaire, Lady Bugs to name a few), but things like World of Warcraft or Wizard 101 suffer greatly. I'm not saying that all games do not run with CXOffice, just that CrossOver Games is a much better environment for it (again, if I've heard of a game running in office it is usually because someone had trouble with it).

I agree to Craig.

I also find the versioning confusing. I looked for a comparison/recommandation page to which version I should choose. With no success. Luckily I found this threat :)

What should users do, who do play games (occasionally) AND do use office applications like MS Office and such (are there really people out there who still use IE6? Hopefully not;) ?

I recommend, that you try to simplify/clarify your software structure. People are most satisfied, when they think that the software they bought is absolutely the right one for them and if it just works. Not like: "hmmm I installed CrossOver Games but CrossOver Pro might have been better?!". If its possible to combine them, you might be better off to try that.

I installed CrossOver Pro... Great software btw :)

Best of Luck,

Robert

I was also confused about the differences between the versions.

For crossover beginners essential questions may rise up:

• what is the real difference between the versions? It looks equal
  • Can both both versions be installed in parallel?
  • do they integrate into each other on installation?
  • do i need to select the version for each crosstie?

I found some Information somewhere in the FAQ and when i just did the typical try&error just installing both demos and trying.

Bye
Björn

Björn Kalkbrenner wrote:

I was also confused about the differences between the versions.

For crossover beginners essential questions may rise up:

• what is the real difference between the versions? It looks equal

Hi,

Every build of Crossover is based on one or another version of wine - sometimes
both Crossover products are based on the same wine tree, other times not. When we say
'based on', that means what it says - Codeweavers take the wine release tree, and add
to that other patches (hooks to the GUI elements and so on). Now, ostensibly there are
2 custom patch sets - one for the normal Crossover product, and one for the Games product.
The patch set for the normal Crossover product adds code/features required to make (and
keep) numerous office/productivity applications running and performing well - conversely,
the patch set for the Games version of Crossover contains code/features required to make
(and keep) many games titles working....

....due to the nature of the patches (in part caused because of the disparity of resources
demanded by a win32 game, compared to that required by a win32 app), many of said patches
cannot live 'side by side' in the one wine source tree build. An easy example would be that
a patch that allows some game to render properly, causes graphics artifacts to start appearing
in some office program...or vice versa - the code required for the office app to fix the
graphics artifacts, causes some games to crash. For these sorts of technical reasons, Codeweavers
maintains the 2 product branches so users can get the best experience/performance from their
app or game...

...mind you, wine technology itself is always evolving and growing, and I would imagine that
'eventually', the wine core code will be so good, that one version will be able to handle
both apps & games equally -- and present however, that's not really the case....

Björn Kalkbrenner wrote:

• Can both both versions be installed in parallel?
  • do they integrate into each other on installation?

Yes, both version can be installed at the same time. They integrate at the OS/user level, but
in real terms the two environments are mutually exclusive.

Björn Kalkbrenner wrote:

I don't understand this question - all crossties are version matched against one or another
Crossover version in their creation. Some crossties are for both Crossover products, and
in those specific cases, if you have both crossover products installed, you have to select
which Crossover version you want to install into -- if you're talking about selecting version
for each crosstie in another context ..ie; creating them...that's really fodder for the
advocate's crosstie forum....but in the automation context, crossties meant for normal
Crossover won't work in Crossover Games (and vice-versa), and likewise crosstie made for
version 10 of Crossover products, won't work in Crossover version 9 (but crossties for version
9 -should- still work for version 10)....

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Björn Kalkbrenner wrote:

I don't understand this question - all crossties are version matched
against one or another
Crossover version in their creation.

That was the answer to the question. It's something you can only read somewhere in the FAQ but not on

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crosstie/
or
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/c4p_user

which is the first place for a newbie where you can read something about crosstie's.
But that's just cosmetical stuff how the infos can be organized on the website... On using crossover, many things can be learned just by "trying" ... or asking here... :)

Bye
Björn

Björn Kalkbrenner wrote:

That was the answer to the question. It's something you can only
read somewhere in the FAQ but not on

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crosstie/
or
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/c4p_user

which is the first place for a newbie where you can read something
about crosstie's.
But that's just cosmetical stuff how the infos can be organized on
the website... On using crossover, many things can be learned just
by "trying" ... or asking here... :)

Bye
Björn

Ohh, I get you now....the best 'beginners' documentation for crossties is ...

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/beginningc4ps

...the more specific stuff, is at the top of the (current) document tree;

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/c4p_main?action=tree

As you say, asking questions around here usually works ;)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYWRKVnFxZ2t3VnFMdlNUbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9