CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Help please.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I am a newbie and these forums are not very straightforward, but i'm not here to talk about the structure of this site.

Basically, I need help running a game from "95, for pc. It is to be run on Mac OSX. I have no problem installing it, but it comes across a problem when I am in the "dungeon", which is the same problem that Windows Vista has, while running UAC.

The problem is, is that after creating a character and such, when you go into the dungeon, no button on screen or on the keyboard seems to work, and the game can only be closed with control-alt-delete. But, the game appears to be working, in a non-crashed state. This is shown by the in-game character (depicted by an arrow) flashing.

Because this game is so old, it does not work on Vista, without turning UAC off. It has the same problem as stated above. I'm not too sure why, but apparently it affects many games that are old. Furthermore, the game is proclaimed to not work on 64-bit OSes, without virtualization.

Yes, I am inexperienced with crossover, but I did manage to install Baldurs gate, with no more problems than through virtualization on my PPC mac, Which made my other game work fine. And yes, I did try it in all bottles available, to no avail.

The game is called Mordor: The depths of Dejenol. If it makes any difference, it was written in visual basic 3 (I think).

As mentioned, I got it working through virtualization on my iBook, but i would like to get it running on my MacBook Pro.

I know that the other option is to use Bootcamp, and install windows on it, but last time I used bootcamp (installing Ubuntu) it had wiped the whole hard drive, despite partitioning it correctly. Therefore, I am not willing to go down that route, as I had lost aproximately 300 hours of music work in progresses, as I am a musician. Its worth mentioning that i am a smart guy, and have tried plenty of alternatives. Hence me posting here.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I would appreciate the help.
Although, this could sight problems in the "bottle" system, if it appears that all bottles have vista/post vista architecture, or some form of UAC.

Hi,

Not a lot of info out there on this title, and what I did find
just more or less confirms the bug you are seeing;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=8673

The older the game, a lot of the time the more problematic things
get. There is a function to change the version of Windows the bottle
identifies itself as (also alters some behavior), but I really doubt
it'd help any here - my impression is whatever causes this, is still
present in the core wine code, and thus, present in Crossover as well.
Sorry I didn't find any better news ;-/

Cheers!

Ok, thanks for trying, as opposing to turning this into a big ToDo over it being in the wrong section.

So crossover is essentially wine? I had no idea.

Is there any evidence that the win98 bottle is of true windows 98 architecture though? Or was it all created from the architecture of wine, which was (I think) created from scratch.

Seems virtualization seems to be the only way forward.

Crossover is based on wine, yes, but also has other pieces of code in it that wine does not - at the end of the day though, they share a lot in common. Forgetting about versioning for a moment, the only 'true' Windows architecture is that running a 'real' Windows kernel, and this is primarily where things come unstuck ; the bottle workings and structure are as close as they can be to 'the real thing', but all said and done, if a win32 app is coded in a way that needs a 'real' windows kernel. it may not work in crossover/wine because that part of the Windows OS hasn't been reimplemented (yet) in wine. This is also why, obviously, visualization/emulation products work, because they -are- using a real windows kernel. This understates things a little, but that's the basics of what's at play.

Cheers!

edit: typos

From what I heard its the really old DX environments that are a pain. I think pre DX7 are painful. Thankfully not too many are reliant on the old DX environments, as DX was still kinda crappy compared to engines and such that were commercial.

FIgured I would chime in on that one. It may be DX5 and prior. I know DX3 stuff is evil and a royal PITA to make function.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVHVRblpWOENVaDJhTFhZSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9