CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Full Screen Native Resolution Problem

This is quite a lengthy, but detailed description of the issue I'm having. If anyone else has seen the same symptoms, advice would be greatly appreciated!

It seems that sometime during the last two or three weeks full screen mode in all games doesn't work properly at my native resolution (1440 x 900).

Either the game fills the screen and is squashed up a little bit, leaving a black bar at the bottom of the screen, or it simply won't go into native resolution (flashing screen, trying to change resolution but goes back to the previous setting after a few seconds).

The black bar that's present in the first scenario seems to be the same height as the menu bar (I'm running CrossOver Games on a MacBook Pro with 10.6.5) and is off the edge of the game's rendering space, meaning that it's easy to miss buttons at the bottom of the display and click this black space instead.

With the black bar problem the game is also squashed upwards slightly, resulting in there usually being a band of distorted image somewhere in the middle running horizontally, approximately 5-10 pixels in thickness. I've so far seen the same problem with Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Alien Swarm, whereas Star Trek Online refuses to go into the native resolution at all. It wasn't like this previously and all three games used to run in full screen with no problems.

Any other resolution works fine and the issue goes away when I uncheck the following two options in the Wine configuration tool:

• Allow the window manager to decorate the windows
  • Allow the window manager to control the windows

While this has fixed the problem with RCT3, Alien Swarm no longer responds to keyboard commands, so I can't use this to fix it completely.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :)

System Info:

• MacBook Pro 3,1 (2007 model)
  • 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • NVIDIA 8600M GT 256 MB
  • 4 GB 667 MHz RAM
  • 500 GB Seagate Momentus HD
  • Mac OS X 10.6.5 Build 10H574 64-bit
  • CrossOver Games 9.2.0

P.S. In case anyone asks, I haven't posted this as a support ticket because I can't renew my license just yet. I will be doing so quite soon, though.

Hi,

Thanks heaps for posting this one -- as a matter of coincidence, I'm actually
seeing something very much like this in current beta testing on my 11,2 iMac with
HS5670 (the 22pixel high menu bar dropping to screen bottom) -- likewise, the trying
to go to fullscreen and the app flicking back and forth between whitescreen & desktop
I've be seeing as well (in 9.x), and one of the Ninjas has been able to recreate the
latter scenario....

...now, we were thinking it was related to the Ati cards - obviously, this report
draws that conjecture into question...

...tell me, when exactly did you shift from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5? Would the OSX upgrade
at all coincide with the instance of these issues appearing?

Cheers!

edit: added link to this thread into related bug

Hi Don,

I updated to 10.6.5 pretty much as soon as it was made available by Apple, which was November 10th, according to Wikipedia. Unfortunately I can't really say when the problem arose, since around that time I'd been using Star Trek Online at 1280 x 800 to test out different graphics settings.

I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the latest OS update may have coincided with the problem, but I can't say for sure.

I presume that because Apple is trying to improve graphics drivers in OS X (with Valve's encouragement) their changes may have affected CrossOver in some way.

Thanks for your reply! It's good to know that it's not an isolated issue with just my Mac.

Thanks Marc!

It's a curious bug for sure -- now that I think about it some,  

the Marvelous Ninja who recreated this, did so with one of the 9.x
builds && 10.6.4 iirc....what piqued my interest here, is you're the
first Mac user (that I know of) who's reported this issue with a
nvidia fitted Mac...at any rate, rest assured it's 'on the radar'
so to speak, and lets hope we can find the cause soon 8)

Cheers!

I'm having the same issue. Does anyone have a fix for this yet?

Macbook Unibody 13"
2.4 ghz core 2 duo
4 gb ram
9400m
Crossover 9.2.0

Hi Talonstryk,

I'm still tracking this in beta...it's a somewhat  

elusive target, not everyone can recreate it. I think if
there's any question to ask at present, it would be is
anyone seeing this in other games (stand alones) that are
not using Steam? I'm going to test that on the 11,2 a
bit later myself, but because it's Ati fitted, my scope
is limited -- if it is related to Steam, it'd be useful
to know if the situation in this regard is true for nvidia
fitted Macs as well...post any feedback to this thread
if you can help fill the picture there a bit better ;)

Cheers!

It seems to only affect Steam games as far as I can tell. I will give a non-steam game a try this weekend.

Don,

I tried galactic civilizations 2, and when I set it to native resolution (1280x800 for me), the issue appeared. It is not isolated to steam games.

Talonstryk -- thanks, yeah...I concur...it seems any app that goes
fullscreen (and thus is going to require the menu bar be overlayed)
seems to be able to provoke this issue....thanks for checking things
out and providing feedback on this!

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Talonstryk -- thanks, yeah...I concur...it seems any app that goes

fullscreen (and thus is going to require the menu bar be overlayed)

seems to be able to provoke this issue....thanks for checking things

out and providing feedback on this!

Cheers!

Not a probem.

I wonder if it its due to an update to MacOS or a update to Crossover Games. Has anyone tried in back-releases of Crossover to see if if works properly there?

Talonstryk wrote:

Not a probem.

I wonder if it its due to an update to MacOS or a update to
Crossover Games. Has anyone tried in back-releases of Crossover to
see if if works properly there?

Yes....a number of us have rolled back CX version to perhaps 9.0 (we don't want to go further back than that, as it'll send Steam into a spiral ;) I've only had the iMac for about 6 months, but (and I might be wrong) I don't think it's entirely an OSX thing.

Did this issue get resolved in version 10.0? I am considering whether or not I should pay for version 10.0 now that my support agreement has ended.

Hi,

It's still an issue in CXG-10 on my 11,2 iMac with HD5670 - I don't know how others have found 10 to be in this regard on different Mac units. I'm sort of hoping to the future at present...

Cheers!

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYUNzZVJoV3pnTkp2eVFnRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9