CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

CrossOver Games Demo 9.1- Installation Issues

I am about to install CrossOver Games Demo 9.1.0, I have CrossOver Pro 9.0.0, and the test result shows that it is known not to work on Garry's Mod, which I'm trying to find something different. Since CrossOver Games was known to work better, as named, for games, I decided to try it out.

However, during my installation, the setup gave me this error at the end of the "Unpacking" process:

The setup program seems to have failed on Linux / x86 / glibc-2.3.
Check the system requirements at: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/requirements/

But, I am very sure that I have GLibc 2.3.6 that was provided by libc6 package. I think this is very common. Do anyone has a suggestion to fix this? Either its a bug or so.

Hi,

Which linux distro/version are you using? Also, which package
did you use? Does the .sh installer work for you?

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Hi,

Which linux distro/version are you using? Also, which package
did you use? Does the .sh installer work for you?

Cheers!

I am using Xandos Etch, I am using the .sh installer like the one you mentioned. I am very sure I have the right dependency for the job. Please help me through this .mess. And thank you for your quick reply

Odd.....as a test, what happens if you grab the Crossover Games 9.0
shell installer and try to install that? Same result?

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Odd.....as a test, what happens if you grab the Crossover Games 9.0

shell installer and try to install that? Same result?

Yup, it worked, in addition, my Glibc library is 2.3.6, and I could upgrade to 2.7.0, which is way risky in my Linux distribution. While the message displaed should be related to 2.3. I'm about to go, probably won't be replying for about six hour. >_<

Thank You, I appreciate your help!

EDIT:
Wait, CrossOver Games 9.0, I don't have it, but only CrossOver Pro 9.0, what I'm looking or is CrossOver Games 9.1... but are there any difference in the dependency they use?

Same problem since few versions back. That is, the same with 9.2.* But there is a fix.

Run the installation script with --keep option so that the installation files are not deleted when the installation fails.
Then navigate to xxx/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86, where xxx is the directory where the script put all the files.
There you'll see a directory named glibc-2.7 (and NOT glibc-2.3, as it should, and what the documentation still claims...).
Then make s symlink thusly: ln -s glibc-2.7 glibc-2.3
And then run setup.sh in that xxx directory.

All should work fine. Works for me at least.

Tigger wrote:

Same problem since few versions back. That is, the same with 9.2.*
But there is a fix.

Run the installation script with --keep option so that the
installation files are not deleted when the installation fails.
Then navigate to xxx/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86, where xxx is the
directory where the script put all the files.
There you'll see a directory named glibc-2.7 (and NOT glibc-2.3, as
it should, and what the documentation still claims...).
Then make s symlink thusly: ln -s glibc-2.7 glibc-2.3
And then run setup.sh in that xxx directory.

All should work fine. Works for me at least.

Thanks for the Tips, attempting to try. By the way, where do you mean by "xxx/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86", I don't know where the directory where the setup extract the files.

EDIT:
I cannot find the "xxx" directory you mentioned, any help?

Also, do I have to run the "setup.sh" in the "xxx" directory? Or I can run anywhere I want?

FPSLemoneko wrote:

Thanks for the Tips, attempting to try. By the way, where do you
mean by "xxx/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86", I don't know where the
directory where the setup extract the files.

EDIT:

Also, do I have to run the "setup.sh" in the "xxx" directory?
Or I can run anywhere I want?

Sorry, that "xxx" was just a template, you should replace it with your real target directory. To specifically tell where to put those files use the --target option, i.e. do something like

sh install-crossover-games-demo-9.1.0.sh --keep --target whateverdirectory

The glibc dir should then be found in "whateverdirectory/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86" and the setup script is "whateverdirectory/setup.sh".

Hope this helps.

Tigger wrote:

FPSLemoneko wrote:

Thanks for the Tips, attempting to try. By the way,
where do you mean by "xxx/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86", I don't know
where the directory where the setup extract the files.

EDIT:

Also, do I have to run the "setup.sh" in the "xxx"
directory?

Sorry, that "xxx" was just a template, you should replace it with
your real target directory. To specifically tell where to put those
files use the --target option, i.e. do something like

sh install-crossover-games-demo-9.1.0.sh --keep --target whateverdirectory

A Big thanks for the information provided, do the CrossOver Page has
this information posted? I think it will be a great article. Again,
thanks a lot.
The glibc dir should then be found in
"whateverdirectory/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86" and the setup script is
"whateverdirectory/setup.sh".

Hope this helps.

Also, do I have to run the "setup.sh" in the "xxx" directory?

Forgot this... I think it should run it in that directory...

A Big thanks for the information provided, do the CrossOver Page has
this information posted? I think it will be a great article. Again,
thanks a lot.

I don't think it is in cx pages... But it should be in this forum, as I recall having posted this before 😉

In any case, while this works (and I'm surprised that it does...), it is not the right solution. Either the developers should update (downgrade) their build enviroment, or update the documentation and force users to update their glibc...

Tigger wrote:

Also, do I have to run the "setup.sh" in the "xxx"
directory? Or I can run anywhere I want?

Forgot this... I think it should run it in that directory...

A Big thanks for the information provided, do the CrossOver
Page has this information posted? I think it will be a great
article. Again, thanks a lot.

I don't think it is in cx pages... But it should be in this forum,
as I recall having posted this before 😉

In any case, while this works (and I'm surprised that it does...),
it is not the right solution. Either the developers should update
(downgrade) their build enviroment, or update the documentation and
force users to update their glibc...

Thanks for the very quick reply.
Now, I have this Error:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineserver: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/cxoffice/bin/wineserver)
setup:error: 'rundll32 DefaultInstall wine.inf' failed
cxbottle:error: unable to create the 'New Bottle' bottle in '/home/user/.cxoffice/New Bottle'

I do believe I have a lower GLibc library as mentioned, 2.3.6, but because I am using Xandros(Etch), it is very risky and dangerous for me to upgrade, though, it is also going to remove and install a bunch of stuff. I want to know is this a bug or do I really have a missing component?

Upgrading Libc6 which provide glibc will remove "tzdata" and "util-linux" which I both have no knowledge of. Can anyone provide me with extra information? I have been working on starting Garry's Mod for almost a year with no result, every trouble leads to another. I hope it really can work this time.

FPSLemoneko wrote:

Now, I have this Error:

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wineserver: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/cxoffice/bin/wineserver)
cxbottle:error: unable to create the 'New Bottle' bottle in '/home/user/.cxoffice/New Bottle'

I do believe I have a lower GLibc library as mentioned, 2.3.6, but
because I am using Xandros(Etch), it is very risky and dangerous for
me to upgrade, though, it is also going to remove and install a
bunch of stuff. I want to know is this a bug or do I really have a
missing component?

Hmm, now that I (finally) think of it, I think I have glibc-2.6, and I probably used ln -s glibc-2.7 glibc-2.6 (instead of 2.3)... But the last time I checked, the documentation still claimed glibc-2.3 (or some such low number) as the requirement... You can check your version by running /lib/libc.so.6 or rather /lib/tls/libc.so.6 it seems... Other than that, I cannot help you, sorry. I'm just an ordinary customer...

(But that error above seems a bit funny to me, there is "cxoffice" while I expected to see "cxgames"...)

Tigger wrote:

FPSLemoneko wrote:

Now, I have this Error:

I do believe I have a lower GLibc library as mentioned, 2.3.6, but
because I am using Xandros(Etch), it is very risky and dangerous
for
me to upgrade, though, it is also going to remove and install a
bunch of stuff. I want to know is this a bug or do I really have a
missing component?

Hmm, now that I (finally) think of it, I think I have glibc-2.6, and
I probably used ln -s glibc-2.7 glibc-2.6 (instead of 2.3)... But
the last time I checked, the documentation still claimed glibc-2.3
(or some such low number) as the requirement... You can check your
version by running /lib/libc.so.6 or rather /lib/tls/libc.so.6 it
seems... Other than that, I cannot help you, sorry. I'm just an
ordinary customer...

(But that error above seems a bit funny to me, there is "cxoffice"
while I expected to see "cxgames"...)

GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.6, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.18 system on 2007-02-21.
Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Thread-local storage support included.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

This is what I got, clearly, it should be 2.3.6, but it is mentioning 2.4, I can upgrade to 2.7.1, but risky as it removes util-linux and tzdata. I don't mind about tzdata, its timezone, but as what I read from util-linux, its an important misc ultilities, which i don't know is it "that" important. It says to provide libc6.

Anyway, I am installing CrossOver Standard 9.1 first than straight to Game in-case my trail expire before being able to try Garry's Mod on it.

IMPORTANT EDITING:
Libc6 CANNOT be upgraded, it is potentially harmful to my OS, either way, libc6 2.3.6 might be the farthest it can upgrade to. "util-linux" is marked as an essential file. Which there will be 99.99% out of 100% that it will cause problem with my OS and forcing me to restore to factory condition once again.

Can anyone tell me why CrossOver is requiring GLIC-2.4 when the Requirement category requested 2.3.x or greater? Thank You

Further Editing:
I've researched a way to upgrade libc6 2.7.1 without removing my essential packages. Due to my current Distro, Xandros(Etch), it is very not-recommended to upgrade to it. Since my previous try to upgrade removed util-linux and tzdata which makes me restore to my factory condition, this time, it did not remove them because I upgrade util-linux which involve tzdata and libc6.

This mean that originally, in my repository, they're cross-depending on each other, all of them depend on each other. But conflict with older version of such. I would ask anyone's opinion, should I give it a try?

YEAH!
For the first time, maybe in EEE PC 701(Old Model) history, I've upgraded libc6 library to 2.7.1 and it worked. I've restarted a few time after installing CrossOver and after installing Libc6, and no-error is seen or affecting my system.

CrossOver worked, but in 7 day time before the trail expire, I have to successfully start Garry's Mod! Damn it! Hope this time, it worked.

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRXFtZTlWWkZhdmRFM1BMayIsImdkcHIiOjB9