CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Regretting my Parallels/W7 combination

About the time I got this i7 iMac, I entertained the idea of Bootcamping my iMac to be able to run any game with no problems, but I use Home Sharing with iTunes to run the other computers and Apple TV's in the house, as well as host the printer via Bonjour, so that's not really an option, as my wife works from home and it needs to run. I have a Mini I could use to perform that service...but I don't like separation :)

That's beside the point, right before I got the Parallels/W7 combo, I inquired about renewing my Crossover install, I had missed the deadline to re-up at a discount due to moving expenses, and the folks at Codeweavers were good enough to extend my discount, so I snapped it up. Two days later I got Parallels, and had forgotten about Crossover. I didn't do much research past the Ars Technica article on Parallels 6 and gaming, so I started to load all of my games into this. I wasn't aware at the time that the virtual machine also virtualized the GPU, and limits it to 256MB, negating my upgrade to a 1GB GPU. I also guess I knew, but didn't realize that the full 8GB of RAM I have was to be shared, not available to use as via Crossover (I realize the full 8GB might not be addressable).

The big kicker to me was my inability to get similar performance out of Parallels. Crossover doesn't work with everything, and some things are finicky in W7 even with Compatibility Mode, but the lower performance potential really has me put off. I suppose Steam isn't all that happy with me downloading all these games over and over (from the C2D to the i7 Parallels, then to Crossover, hehe), but for the most part, Crossover seems to be the better option....if the games run, which most do. I am also trying to fill in the gaps in the Compatibility section with the games I have, so hopefully I can get most of my gaming optimized via Crossover, and leave the lower-performance Parallels to the games that must have it.

I guess the point is thanks for the discount, and the support you guys give.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM1FRUVJzSHJKWUhlNXp4MyIsImdkcHIiOjB9