CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 - Steam or normal version?

Greetings,

I'm new to cxgames (on mac), but I just have some experience with wine on linux for running small apps.

I would like to play IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 on my mac, but now I have to decide if I'm going to use the dvd or Steam version.
Is there any difference for the same game on Steam or dvd?

Thanks.

Eduardo Silva wrote:

Greetings,

I'm new to cxgames (on mac), but I just have some experience with
wine on linux for running small apps.

I would like to play IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 on my mac, but now I have
to decide if I'm going to use the dvd or Steam version.
Is there any difference for the same game on Steam or dvd?

Thanks.

Hi,

The 'rule of thumb' here, is to avoid any CD/DVD releases if you can, unless you're 100%
sure the game disc itself is DRM free. This is particularly so in the case of the Mac, because the OSX
scsi driver design doesn't allow direct software access to the optical drive hardware, which is usually
required to get such disc based DRM mechanisms to work.

I can't speak to the Steam release of this title -- I myself have the gog.com version, which works very
well on my 11,2 iMac with HD5670 videochip. It may well still be available from gog.com, I'm not sure,
but I do know this title is also available from other digital download vendors...Direct2Drive, GamersGate
and probably others..I guess what I'm saying here is "shop around"... 8)

Regardless of which -digital-download- version you buy, if you have any issues getting the game to run,
you can post to the forum on the C4 page for IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 for help...see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4104

Cheers!

Thank you Don,

I think that I will try the Steam version since this is the one that my friends play.

btw, I didn't noticed that there was a subforum for each app.

Regards,
Eduardo

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMkdyeW5XR0M4R2tCTld1WCIsImdkcHIiOjB9