CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Crossover Games 9.1 Feedback & feature requests

I just wanted to say well done on this release!

I've been using Crossover games since version 7 and this 9.1 release is a massive step forward. In earlier versions I could run the odd old game but had issues or encountered regressions with updated builds. With 9.1 I have those titles and more running fantastically well - over a dozen now. The new installer is also much better for applying patches and updates to the games in the bottles.

Apart from updating Crossover Games to support more & future titles there are two features I could use. The first is a way to tell an individual bottle to run a prior version of wine. I install everything in its own bottle so this would allow updates without fear of regressions causing problems for particular titles. I could always restore a bottle from a backup but if a new version fixes one game but breaks another it is difficult. The second is a way to manually choose an exe file and add it to the Program menus. I've tried putting OS X aliases in the folders but these don't work. Sometimes the applications that are automatically created in these folders link to setup programs etc that are best avoided on subsequent launches.

M Wilson wrote:

snip<
Apart from updating Crossover Games to support more & future titles
there are two features I could use. The first is a way to tell an
individual bottle to run a prior version of wine. I install
everything in its own bottle so this would allow updates without
fear of regressions causing problems for particular titles. I could
always restore a bottle from a backup but if a new version fixes one
game but breaks another it is difficult.

Hi,
Running something in a previous version of -wine- is no real big deal ; install the version of wine
you require, then install your app/game into that setup. You might not be able to do this on a per bottle
basis (due to differences in the registry), and the only tool I know of that encompasses all possibilities
here, would be something like 'wwine' .... http://random.zerodogg.org/wwine

M Wilson wrote:

The second is a way to manually choose an exe file and add it to
the Program menus. I've tried putting OS X aliases in the folders
but these don't work. Sometimes the applications that are
automatically created in these folders link to setup programs etc
that are best avoided on subsequent launches.

This feature already exists...on the Mac with Crossover(Games) running -> Programs menu -> Run Command -> select bottle (Use Bottle) -> click on Browse to navigate to the exe file you want to run -> Open -> Save Command to Programs Menu....

Cheers!

Thanks Don - I took the plunge and upgraded to 9.2 and so far everything I have tested works as well as before. Many thanks for the tip on the program menu - I can tidy that up now as those folders of junk (read me files, uninstallers etc.) soon get a bit messy.

One issue I did get with 9.1 just before the upgrade was two crashes with Far Cry - bad enough for me to delete the bottle rather than risk using it again. The first happened after I tried to increase some graphics settings - the game advises it needs to be relaunched but on doing so it just bounced in the dock and couldn't be force quit. I tried quitting then force quitting all the other apps I had open to restart tbut they wouldn't close either - even the window manager wouldn't quit via activity monitor to try and force a logout so a hard shutdown was eventually necessary. When the computer rebooted I tried again and got a hard freeze immediately - the mouse cursor locked. Twice was enough for me hence my deleting the bottle. I'm not sure what low level stuff was being accessed that could cause that - crashing apps I can live with - hard freezes and kernel panics are awful.

M Wilson wrote:

Thanks Don - I took the plunge and upgraded to 9.2 and so far
everything I have tested works as well as before. Many thanks for
the tip on the program menu - I can tidy that up now as those
folders of junk (read me files, uninstallers etc.) soon get a bit
messy.

Wrt menu creation, some of this drives me nuts too -- I have asked that consideration be given
for further revision of the C4P system to be able to delete/remove win32 installer created menus
that we simply will never use and/or which replicate themselves unnecessarily...

M Wilson wrote:

One issue I did get with 9.1 just before the upgrade was two crashes
with Far Cry - bad enough for me to delete the bottle rather than
risk using it again. The first happened after I tried to increase
some graphics settings - the game advises it needs to be relaunched
but on doing so it just bounced in the dock and couldn't be force
quit. I tried quitting then force quitting all the other apps I had
open to restart tbut they wouldn't close either - even the window
manager wouldn't quit via activity monitor to try and force a logout
so a hard shutdown was eventually necessary. When the computer
rebooted I tried again and got a hard freeze immediately - the
mouse cursor locked. Twice was enough for me hence my deleting the
bottle. I'm not sure what low level stuff was being accessed that
could cause that - crashing apps I can live with - hard freezes and
kernel panics are awful.

When asking for help about individual apps/games, it's always best to do so in the forum
area of the specific win32 title...it always pays to check/read the forum and tips&tricks
areas of an app's C4 page, to be sure your problem hasn't already been identified/resolved ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=257

As it is, I have the 5CD release of FarCry - other advocates have the Steam release or
possibly a release from another distributor (there's a few selling this title) -- asking
your question about FarCry in the C4 page's forum for this title, increases your chances
of help and -relevant- information...ie; I can only speak to the 5CD release - I know the
other releases differ in a few ways. It is therefore also useful, to identify which release
of the game you have when asking questions...along with which platform/OS{version}/video card
or chipset your machine has...

Cheers!

Hi Don,

Apologies for the off topic details. I'll move it to the Farcry page. I was just concerned that something could cause such a low level OS X crash via Crossover Games - it is common that installing something that is "unsupported" is a bit experimental but if the worst that can be expected is that the game crashes to the desktop that is pretty low risk.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVTNYNVBYYlR6Z1ROcFNOdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9