CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

console, the tilde and keyboard layout

I have a kind of general question here:

I'm using a Japanese keyboard and for some games I'd like to use the console. Unfortunately the console doesn't work on some games.

I got "keyremap4macbook" but it doesn't work for some games.

It seems possible to remap the tilde in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
but I'm not sure what code to enter.

Or, is it better to maybe install a windows-based keyremap program to the bottles where I want to remap keys and then run that? Will that work?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

First of all, how would you normally type a tilde into a Mac-native application (e.g. TextEdit) using that keyboard? It may require the use of the Option (a.k.a. Alt) key. You can bring up the Keyboard Viewer to help you figure out how to type it. You enable the Keyboard Viewer using the Input Sources tab of the Language & Text pane of System Preferences.

Assuming you can figure out how to type it in a Mac-native app, it should work the same way in CrossOver with one caveat. You need to tell CrossOver whether it should use the Option key to access additional characters from the keyboard or to send the Alt keystroke to the Windows programs it is running. You configure that in CrossOver's preferences. By default, the left Option key sends Alt to Windows programs while the right Option key, if your keyboard has one, accesses additional characters.

You can test that the keyboard layout is working properly in CrossOver by running our built-in version of Notepad. Bring up the Run Command dialog and just type "notepad" as the command, and click Run. Verify that you can type a tilde into that just as you would in TextEdit.

If that doesn't help, many games let you reassign the key used to access the console, via their options. So, you can configure the game to use a key that's more convenient for you to type.

I honestly don't know what effect, if any, that registry key you mention has. I'm not sure if a Windows key remapping program will work, but it seems unlikely to work well.

Thank you for your suggestion. I did as you suggested, and confirmed that the tilde and backstroke both work by entering shift and the tilde key or backstroke key on my keyboard. Even though the console was enabled, I still wasn't able to access it.

As for the keyboard layout item in hkey, I read a LITTLE about it on a Microsoft site while trying to do research on key remapping. However, it was pretty technical and I may have (or probably) misunderstood it.

As for reassigning the games in options, the ingame options don't allow me to choose a different key to access the console. I'll try the cfg files for the games.

However, it's not a huge issue because I can still play the game.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY3ZaNXFLQVd0YVUyRVJQbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9