CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Half Life 1 games no longer work OSX

Hello, I just installed crossover games 9.1 for OSX. When I boot up steam and try to play any half life 1 based game (half life, blue shift, day of defeat, ect) They boot to the first background and never show the menu to start a game. I reinstalled a new bottle with steam and the same issue happens. I want to stick with 9.1 as it fixes issues with Unreal engine games. Any body else having this issue and find a fix?

i have a similar issue. I'm on 9.0 though

Hi,

Indeed...the new iMac w/ hd5670 is doing the same thing - get to
splash, Gordon doesn't look very happy....and... nothing happens. On
the linux box, everything's fine...what's the bet this has something
to do with the latest Steam update?....Ken's been posting advice on
that issue around the place...see bottom of this thread;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3415;forum=1;msg=87886

I haven't tried it with HL myself yet (for that issue wrt that title it
worked), so you might give that a go on the off chance...if anyone does
let us know if it helps or not. I'll try it later myself, but this may
also be related to which video card/chipset your Mac has as well, so you
should mention this when posting - OSX version may matter too - I have 10.6.4

I'll hoist a ticket on it now and link back to this thread...

Cheers!

Yes, this is definitely the issue mentioned in that other thread with the Steam update and the in-game community overlay. I'll repost the description here:

We have confirmed that a number of recent bugs in Steam games are due to changes in the in-game community overlay DLL. For some games, disabling the in-game community feature via Steam's settings is good enough to fix the problem. For other games, that's not enough.

For those, you can go into the Wine Configuration (winecfg) tool via Manage Bottles -> select bottle with Steam -> Control Panel. On winecfg's Applications tab, click Add Application. Select the executable of the Steam game that's having the problem (or just type its filename, like foobar.exe) and click Open. Select the Libraries tab of winecfg. Type GameOverlayRenderer in the "New override for library" edit field, click the Add button, click the Edit button, select Disable, click OK, and click OK. That prevents the in-game community overlay from even being loaded for that game.

If you don't use the in-game community, you might find it simpler to just disable it for the whole bottle. To do that, just skip the above steps involving the Applications tab of winecfg. Just leave it with Default Settings selected, which is how it starts, and go straight to the Libraries tab and proceed from there.

I'm just using *****. (text censored to be within the DMCA.) If there are still retail versions... do those still need Steam?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTDl2YkN4VFRSbkdzdnRZdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9